Featured C - Shaped Glass Whatsit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Sep 22, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I can not figure out what this is. It's about 4 1/2" long x 3" deep x 1" tall. At first I thought maybe it was to hold curtains back but it seems a little chancy to use glass for that. The auctioneer tried to pass it off as a bracelet. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stumped! Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20170922_144548675.jpg IMG_20170922_144603325.jpg

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Napkin ring maybe?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It could hold some heavy drapes in a bundle.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Most of my collection of curtain hooks are partly glass. Yours may have had a metal bracket to hold it to the wall.
    greg

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Seems pretty big for curtains.
    Drapes?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Measurements? I have a glass bracelet here that looks similar.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Very long shot on this end, but look carefully for a signature - Charles Williams - or any variation thereof. I have a number of small pieces by him that were intended as jewelry. He supposedly worked for Pilgrim glass, but produced a large number of pieces on his own. If I can locate any of his work like this I'll post some photos.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. It's a bit large for a napkin ring and I'm not sure it's even enough to work as a drape holder. One end sits a little higher than the other so a bracket would be tricky. As for a bracelet I'm not sure. I have small hands (don't think I can't hear you all giggling) and there's no way I can get it on. When I try I end up with a set of glass knuckles (I guess glass knuckles is another possibility). The opening distance at the ends is only about 3/4" so you'd have to have really, really thin wrists to get it on that way. I appreciate everyone taking the time to view this and comment. There's always the chance it was someone's lunch project.
    Don

IMG_20170922_203553329.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have at least one cuff that you'd swear wouldn't fit, but I have no problem getting into it. The Brits used to make canes out of end of day glass that look similar, and odds are this was made by some random glassworker fooling around. It may well be a bracelet made for a child too. I can see that in a little girl's dress-up box.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted