Featured Cabinet Photos Military and baseball

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by kraftblue, Jul 23, 2016.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up a bunch of cabinet photos, military, family, kids and a baseball...Mostly looking for a time frame or war era on the military and maybe if someone knows who the baseball player is....there is a name on the back of the baseball player.

cab1.JPG cab2.JPG cab3.JPG cab4.JPG cab5.JPG cab6.JPG cab7.JPG cab8.JPG cab9.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would look at US Army uniforms of the Spanish-American War period for the group of 4 and the singleton after that - they are all wearing the same hats. Not certain, but around then, maybe up to WW1.

The older guy might have been someone higher up since it was taken in DC.

Is there any indication of the photographer in the border around the baseball player? It's too bad his stance doesn't tell us the name of his team.

One thing that can help is to post the photographer/studio names and places. We can look up when he/they were active.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  3. kraftblue

There is no name on the baseball player. I will Google and try to find war era. Thanks Bakers

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Mr. Baseball looks familiar to me but they probably all looked much alike, hair style wise, but whoever it is it should have a good value. Maybe more so selling reprints on eBidet.

5. kraftblue

The baseball guy might take a bit to ID. So far all the military seem to be Spanish American War.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My thoughts on the military too !

Love the quilted pants on the baseball guy..!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. kraftblue

Got the description written on the youngster with the medals! Need to work on the old guy and all the others.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. kraftblue

Figtree3, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  9. kraftblue

The old man I think is a Major General.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Love the baseball player pic! Old sports' pics can be highly collectable. I suspect the baseball pic dates c1900. Here are pics of a c1905 Spalding baseball uniform with quilted pants.

http://www.antiquesportscollector.com/DDUni.html

--- Susan

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. kraftblue

Thanks Susan!

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Ladybranch

Wow!!!! I think the pic of the 4 star general by Charkes Bell is Philip H. Sheridan of Civil War and trying to pacify the plains Indians fame. He was sort of responsible for Custer's demise as he was Custer's superior. He died in 1888.

http://uniongenerals.org/site/major-general-philip-h-sheridan/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Sheridan

--- Susan

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good going, Susan!

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The baseball player's a southpaw, if that makes a difference (and the negative didn't get flipped).

KingofThings likes this.
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

The name on the back of the baseball player photo looked like possibly J Donohue to me. (It would be too cool if kraftblue's photo were actually of somebody famous!)

Just for the heck of it, I went looking for baseball players of the era with the name Donohue and came up with one,
    John Augustin (Jiggs) Donohue of the Chicago White Sox.

I didn't find much in the way of photos, but here's a cropped copy of kraft's photo and a (probably later) cropped baseball card of Jiggs Donohue:
    baseball  J Donohue.JPG baseball donohue.jpg

Thoughts?

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I went looking for teams that started with CW as that is what I see on his shirt.
    I came up with a roster for 1905 for the Chicago White Sox. I was looking for a first name that started with "J" and last name that ended in "H", but couldn't find a match.

I think that you may be right with Donohue

I see similarities in the side by sides you show. In the ears, the eyes, chin, and jawbone. Particularly interesting since one is a photo and the other a litho of a drawing.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Ladybranch

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Ladybranch

It looks like J. Donohue to me also, but don't think it's Jiggs Donohue. The following page has several pics of Jiggs Donohue. His face look narrow, his ears stick out more, and his hair isn't as curly.

Top row of pics:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Jig...VG6GMKHb21DWcQsAQILw&biw=1024&bih=579#imgrc=_

--- Susan

lloyd249, KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  19. kraftblue

All you guys are great! Thanks for all the help! :kiss:

KingofThings likes this.
  20. kraftblue

Draft saved Draft deleted