Featured Cage glass pendant lamp - murano?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Jun 3, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Another recent glass find. I see a number of similar lamps identified and listed for sale on 1stdibs etc as made by Seguso in Murano - and listed for anywhere between $300(ebay) - to over $2000(1stdibs). Opinions on if this is a Seguso piece? I've read a bit that Seguso did indeed make quite a few of these starting in the 40's. Also what would be the proper term for the technique used to create the striped pattern? Filigrana? Thanks again for all the amazing help you good folks provide. Dimensions - 13" tall 8" wide at widest point.

~

34889930741_88f99ced83_k.jpg 35035954066_7d111d632e_k.jpg 35075989325_28c7a134a6_k.jpg 34265227673_0855686970_k.jpg 35036000146_24ec092040_k.jpg 34912063352_ee7c1384c9_k.jpg 34265264823_58fbfac018_k.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wow!

The metal work looks 1950s-60s. Cloth cord would indicate on the earlier side.
    I don't know anything about Seguso. Was he still working at that time?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aaron, a while back there was some sort of "caged glass" discussed here, but if I recall correctly, it was Mexican.

There's an Etsy seller who's calling his:
    Vintage 1940s Seguso Murano Caged hand blown ribbon glass

This is the one he has listed:
    img0 (77).jpg
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/238773600/vintage-1940s-seguso-murano-caged-glass?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=blown glass pendant light&ref=sr_gallery_21

I'm sure, however, that someone else here will know much better than I!

clutteredcloset49 and aaroncab like this.
  4. aaroncab

Thanks sbsvc - thanks for the etsy link - i've also found some other similar pieces on 1stdibs such as:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/l...-cage-pendant-light-2-available/id-f_3730072/

or this one on pinterest:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/567453621774214632/

or these:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/l...-blue-glass-cage-pendant-lights/id-f_1355226/

There are a dozen or so other examples on various sale sites. Everyone seems to label them Seguso. Who knows if the attributions are correct, but I did find this article about Seguso producing these style lamps:

http://cabinetdeluxe.com.au/how-to-use-a-murano-caged-glass-light-to-best-effect/

Mill Cove Treasures and SBSVC like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

aaroncab likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style is Moorish, made a lot in Venice, which has always had strong connections with the Middle East.
    The style was introduced in Spain by the Moors, and from Spain it went to the Americas.
    Here in Continental Europe we see a lot of these lamps, these are made in Venice, slightly different ones come from Spain and Morocco. We have a Venetian one, a bit like yours.

aaroncab likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Glass sure looks Italian to me if the choice is between Mexican and Italian.

All of the Mexican caged lamps I've run into have been with a solid colored glass, most commonly sort of an amber-ish color, occasionally blue or green, but always solid.

Mill Cove Treasures and aaroncab like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ditto what Lucille said about the Mexican ones.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree.
    My parents had a Mexican one with amber glass. And a Spanish one with red and clear glass. So between us we had all options covered, Venice for us, Spain and Mexico for them;).

aaroncab likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nazeing Glass and Whitefriars also made these in the UK. Typically, single colour glass.

That cage work looks a bit clunky for Murano made, and I don't think the swirls are fine enough, either.

aaroncab likes this.
  11. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I would say that you got a very good piece of caged glass.

Mill Cove Treasures and aaroncab like this.
  12. Lucille.b

@aaroncab

Hey, funny thing happened. I was researching a lamp today, nothing like this one. I had searched "blue and white lamp" on Ebay on my phone.

A lamp almost identical to this one popped up under "Ebay Sold"!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Han...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Sold for "Best Offer", I didn't look up the final sales price.

The seller didn't have much info, and yours seems in much finer condition. (Also your photos are better.)

Thought I'd post.

13. aaroncab

Wow - that certainly does look like mine, including the iron work. Thanks Lucille :) I might reach out to the seller to see if they have any other information on where it came from, although they certainly didn't post any(barely any information at all) in the listing.

14. aaroncab

15. Lucille.b

How about that!

I like the fact that yours does not seem to be re-wired, dates it as older with that cloth cord. Good to have an estimate of date, although someone may want to rewire it eventually.

Best of luck with your research.

P.S. I rarely use Google image search. What a good idea. How did you use the seller's photos? Did you "copy image" or "copy location"? Thanks.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. aaroncab

If you use the Google Chrome browser - you can right click on "most" pictures online and click "search google for this image" and it will bring up similar visually looking pictures in the search results - you can then further refine it by adding keywords etc... Very useful! If you're not using google chrome you can still search google images but you have to save the picture first - then go to google image search and re-upload the pic into the search box.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. Lucille.b

You were so fast with that search, that explains it.

Yeah, I'm not using Chrome. Guess I have to save the pic first.

Thanks!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

it sold for $100.00

Draft saved Draft deleted