Calling all glass bottle experts! Strange find...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by loxston, Feb 26, 2021.

1. loxston

loxston Member

Hi there, so I recently found a bottle that came in a straw lined, steel lockable tube. I know nothing yet about vintage/antique bottles so so far it has been a fascinating discovery. However can’t find anything like it on the internet so I’m throwing the challenge over to your expertise!
    EB9F70CF-E2F7-4BA4-892C-9ECC1CFD5878.jpeg
    This is what I have found so far, but it could be completely wrong so I’m happy to be educated.
    What initially caught my attention were the etched words ‘Contributions Indirectes’. This seems to refer to the French ‘Sales Tax’ (Equivalent to GST or VAT I think, meaning a tax was required to be paid by the end user) that would date it to between 1870 to 1920 (from memory). It is smaller than a typical wine bottle so may have been for liquor.
    7B0B5F21-B954-4487-B240-5EA22A87F686.jpeg
    The bottle has no discernible mold lines, has no additional markings, and a circular, target like base. This leads me to believe it was made using a ‘Turn-mold’ that would date it as a European bottle from the end of the 1800s to the beginning of the 1900s.
    7E1CCD55-9A86-4F5F-9F3C-69AAD6CA18E9.jpeg
    It also has a double ‘applied rim’ that is fairly unusual...
    0E1B4AED-DF9D-47C2-A5E1-AE339488A4A5.jpeg
    Finally it was stored in a straw lined steel tube that has holes cut so it can be locked. I imagine a lead seal was used to ensure that the contents weren’t tampered with.
    B7A881D6-1530-49F7-A492-6FC018068B62.jpeg
    So my current thoughts are that it was for transporting French liquor, perhaps cognac, during WWI to a General or similar. The case is very dented suggesting it had a tough journey.
    I’m keen to know if anyone has seen anything similar that perhaps had other information on the bottle or case.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

would like to see the tube.........but sounds like receptacle ...for tips..

3. loxston

loxston Member

Sorry I uploaded before I finished my post...

komokwa likes this.
  4. loxston

loxston Member

The bottle is inserted ‘top down’ and no other holes in the steel tube. It was found in Australia so may have been brought here by an Aussie Soldier...?

komokwa likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

it's a shipping case.

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

both bottle and case.......very neat !!!!:happy::happy:

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Contributions Indirectes"??? What does that mean? Anybody?

Draft saved Draft deleted