Calling Art Buffs, is This Some Sort of Etching?

Discussion in 'Art' started by MrNate, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

As a general rule, if I find something I've never seen before (and I think it is interesting or beautiful) I buy it if the price isn't too steep. Well, I came across a type of painting I haven't seen yet (my apologies if this is really common, I've just never seen it). I'm not really sure what the material is, perhaps some sort of plastic/wax/other?? The "painting" itself looks as if they lines were carved (I'm not saying they were hand carved, I have no clue at this point) and the material is translucent when placing a light source behind it.

Before I spend a few hours trying to solve this myself, any of your wisdom and/or expertise would be great. Here are some photos of the masterpiece ;)

IMG_0752(1).JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754(1).JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Likely etched into a plastic plate and, then, inked. These show up here from time to time. The consensus is that they are not all that old. Your frame style says 70s-80s.

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks for the information. I'm always happy when someone helps me "build my rolodex" of art knowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted