Featured Cameo, nice frame!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    The cameo below was a purchased based on the frame.
    I have been intrested in buying well caved cameos, I have been blinded that there is beauty in every singe one regardless of the quantity of carving.
    What would be the age if this cameo? Can the portrait be associated with anyone?
    Does this style of carving have a name? C91410F6-A12B-4D80-8326-756DB2305DAC.jpeg 4016A498-400D-4CEC-873B-9181297DD66A.jpeg
    The frame is bright yellow, one would think it is gold, but it’s not.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Bronwen @PepperAnna @Any Jewelry @Debora @kyratango
    BCF18F13-8CC7-4076-9AC4-5EB90E259276.jpeg 4C7ED19D-9CDC-4BCA-AB32-D292CF9E413F.jpeg

Milly, KSW, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is probably pinchbeck, an alloy of copper and zinc that was made to look like gold. Pinchbeck jewellery can be very beautiful.
    "Not very detailed"?;)

J Dagger, KSW, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A very generous position. Not sure you'll still feel the same in 5 years if you continue to collect.

I would date it to late 19th/early 20th. Not a portrait, more a sketchy version of 'a classical figure.'

KSW, mirana, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My problem, exactly! New cameo acquisition has become very rare for me because I simply can't afford the ones I now admire/want. I have much less interest in generic "pretty ladies" or classical females, and virtually no interest in poorly/mediocrely carved specimens. My tastes have evolved past my pocketbook. :greedy:

PepperAnna, Bronwen, KSW and 6 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have the same 'problem' with fans. I have all the usual ones that are worth having, but don't want the regular fans so many people buy nowadays. I will never have the money to buy the top ones, so I'll admire those from afar and not buy.;)

PepperAnna, Bronwen, KSW and 6 others like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ditto... which, I must say, has been good for my bank account. :)

PepperAnna, Bronwen, KSW and 4 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not a bad piece to have in your collection...... to help u focus on better frames and better carving..

kinda , this is what I should steer clear of...!;);):playful:

PepperAnna, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I don’t know @Bronwen some of the bad cameos you have shown on the cameos thread gave me SO much entertainment and made me snort they are just so brilliantly bad :hilarious:
    Unfortunately you have spoilt us by showing us the really good ones so like @bluumz I rarely buy, just look in envy and hope a corker lands in my lap!

9. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Brilliant!
    Thank you all ❤️

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, reading the Cameo thread has been a real education. I looked back at photos of cameos I've sold online over the years and I would pass them by now :smuggrin:

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The natural progression of the connoisseur.

Simona Buhus, bluumz, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted