Featured Cameo, Reverse Intaglio, Pink Stone

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kronos, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Nothing high end, but I was looking for some help in dating and what region they might have come from. Brass with no markings. Thanks for looking

3.jpg 3a.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look Czech to me.

Kronos, i need help, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The black & white cameo design originated in W. Germany, so post WWII, although judging by setting, this specimen not much after. Appears to be a fur clip? The reverse carved piece is, as AJ's instincts told her, Czech. This is where they were made. Both were exported far & wide, so finished pieces may well have been made elsewhere.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yes, the black and white is a fur clip :)

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Can you say why? I’m new to collecting and always curious what you are looking at to determine that :) Thank you!

i need help likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Salesman's sample set.
    Glass Sample Set A adj.jpg Glass Sample Set D adj.jpg

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I take it the big pink stone is probably glass? I have a stone tester buried away somewhere but finding it will be a chore.

judy and i need help like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Of course, Tanya.:)
    In the 19th century the Bohemians started to manufacture brass and glass jewellery based on the precious Renaissance Revival jewellery of the Austro-Hungarian empire, of which Bohemia was a part at the time.
    The style is very much inspired by that particular period of jewellery history, more so than other costume jewellery.

Through many political changes Bohemian became Czech, Czechoslovakian, and now Czech again, together with Moravia. There were some other official names, all similar, but with different political connotations.
    They continued to make jewellery through all those political and name changes. Their heyday was the 1920s-30s, when different Art Deco designs were added to existing styles.
    The general term is Bohemian for pre-WWI jewellery, Czech for later jewellery. Bohemian can also be used if you're not sure, because it is the name of the region throughout history and still is.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Jivvy, judy, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is, so no extra chores today.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted