Cameo Signature Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, May 30, 2019.

1. fridolina

fridolina Well-Known Member

Different women, similar hairstyle.
    88CDC105-904F-4700-8E70-98D04D084F77.jpeg
    Agrippina the Younger, bust by an unknown artist; in the Museo Archeologico Nazionale, Naples
    https://www.britannica.com/biography/Julia-Agrippina

DF2226E2-660E-42CF-BF91-A1EF8EDB1F3E.jpeg
    "Minatia Polla" Museo Nazionale Romano
    Roman marble portrait; the so-called Minatia Polla now in the National Museum (Terme), Rome. Discovered in 1880 at the tomb of C. Sulpicius Platorinus in Rome.
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/854417360531717521/

67E167D9-8DD2-4D42-8B10-A6A16A8CF6E9.jpeg
    A Roman Woman. Copenhagen, New Carlsberg Glyptotek (København, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek)
    Marble. 30—50 CE. Height 39 cm.
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/425871708488325551/

5C49F1D4-D354-4680-91F2-6BDDFFB4E534.jpeg
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/574349758719787140/

93AD00A4-5C8D-49F2-B69E-4690BB55EA62.jpeg
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/648096202606737409/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  2. fridolina

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

PepperAnna, fridolina and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Bronwen

Forgot to tell you how much I like your new Psyche. Charles canted the head to an unusual angle.

Cupid_Eros_type_2.JPG [not mine]

PepperAnna, fridolina and Figtree3 like this.
  5. fridolina

Thank you!
    She is “Psyche abandoned”.

There is another one. [not mine either]
    12C84E16-C391-439B-86AF-33613E1BF16B.jpeg
    She is not supposed to be smiling. Her lover, Cupid, has just left her.

The tilt of the head and rolled up eyes are based on a sculpture by Augustin Pajou and the wings are from another one by Pietro Tenerani.
    60D2E899-0F67-4833-9F14-664A1A0DBFF5.jpeg
    https://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/psyche-abandoned

12FA5FB7-5BE8-4078-AF30-011752630FB0.jpeg
    https://www.uffizi.it/en/artworks/psyche-abandoned

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Figtree3 and PepperAnna like this.
  6. Bronwen

Another source of this Psyche is the cameo on the viewer's far right of the V&A's 'Spartan' tiara:

upload_2020-12-18_12-35-55.png

There is an Eros counterpart on the left. The two are shown on this page from the Paoletti Impressions in Glass:

upload_2020-12-18_12-38-8.png

Figtree3, PepperAnna and fridolina like this.
  7. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So I posted about this cameo a few weeks ago. The signature "Scipio" was clearly visible. Since then I have found another "Scipio" signature and a "Scipioni" signature by the same hand.

I did some researching on the name, but found nothing. I went back to the first cameo above and looked closer, trying to figure out if Scipio could be deciphered as something else. That's when I noticed what looked like a "C" underneath the pin stem. After corresponding with the seller, she took a few more pictures. Guess what "C" signature was under the pin stem??? :)

s-l1600 (2).jpg

So now I am thinking that Scipio might be the dealer, not the carver. The three cameos I found have different carving quality, so this would make sense. Your thoughts?

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm very much enjoying this thread now that it has become so active. I don't have much to contribute, but am learning -- mostly learning about what I don't know!

9. fridolina

I find it quite interesting that the cameos on the 'Spartan' tiara are made out of white glass mounted on carnelian and chalcedony.
    Who was Paoletti?

Bronwen likes this.
  10. PepperAnna

{Per Wikipedia: Pietro Paoletti was known to have made plaster cast cameos or Intaglios. This was a peculiar art form from the early, pre-photographic, 19th century: small reliefs were sculpted to depict either parts or all of major works. The impressions of these reliefs were then pressed on to oval or round plaster medallions. These mementoes were then bound into volumes. They were mementoes of prominent works in Rome. For example, one set by Paoletti had works from the Capitoline, (Rome), Uffizi, the Louvre, Capodimonte, and Vatican museums; as well as works from Villa Albani and by Canova, Gibson, and Thorvaldsen.[7] His brother Giuseppe Paoletti was a vedute painter.

One of my pie in the sky fantasy purchases would be to get my hands on these bound volumes of plaster cameos. They are wicked expensive and full sets are rare. This 12 volume set sold for $50,000 in 2015.

upload_2020-12-18_15-43-59.png

The "book" covers opened in the front and back, so that there were 2 sets of cameos in each book. The plaster cameos were numbered and corresponded to the inventory list on each cover, which listed the subject and in some circumstances, where it was copied from (Canova and Thorvaldson had lots of their work copied into cameos).

I believe there are books like the page Brownen showed that actually list each cameo in the Paoletti offerings, but I can't remember the title.

11. fridolina

Very interesting. Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
    So, going by what I know now about Paoletti, I’m assuming, he would have made his plaster cast of Psyche as a memento of a major work of art.
    Afterwards, I’m guessing, his plaster casts became the prime source for the other cameo carvers’ Psyche, like the one I have by Schmoll.

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

The resource I am using is the 2 volume La collezione Paoletti/Stampi in vetro per impronte di intagli e cammei. In tomo VI, impressions 1 - 200 are all of gems engraved by Antonio Santarelli; Psyche & Eros are #s 183 & 184. So the paste cameos in the tiara are also copies. I've seen her in Berlin Iron too:

Cupid_Eros_type_Berlin_iron_Chris.JPG

The collection the books catalogue is huge, thousands of impressions from thousands of years. I have only dipped in here & there as needed, not gone through them in any systematic way, but it appears that few, if any, of the impressions were taken from modeling by Paoletti. Gem engravers of the 18th & 19th century, such as the Pichlers, took inspiration from the sculptural works of Canova, Thorvaldsen, Gibson, etc., converting them to intaglios. For example, Luigi Pichler was the author of many of Paoletti's Works of Canova.

Figtree3, fridolina and PepperAnna like this.
  13. Bronwen

Well, well, well. Carnesecchi does pop up, doesn't he? I suppose it's possible Scipio(ni) did the metal work, but dealer/shop feels more likely to me.

PepperAnna and fridolina like this.
  14. PepperAnna

I hadn't thought of that- the metal work. Hmmmm. That's another option. I will have to look at the frames of the 3 cameos again. Thanks for the suggestion, Bronwen! :)

Bronwen likes this.
  15. PepperAnna

Hi Fridolina

I didn't know what Montrose agate was, so I looked it up. While learning about it, I ran across this site. Maybe you can get a replacement from here? I hope you can find the right agate for your brooch, which is so lovely. Good luck!

https://scottishgemstones.com/

Bronwen and fridolina like this.
  16. fridolina

Amazing! Looks simple at first but it isn’t. Like going down the rabbit hole. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Thank you PepperAnna!

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  17. fridolina

Cameo of Erato. Antonio Santarelli.

Bonhams, London
    11 Dec 2017
    Sold for £1,625
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24171/lot/413/

The same cameo, less than a year later.
    Bertolami, London
    9 November 2018
    2D97AB96-374C-49D7-83F8-51ABC8F06576.jpeg
    Sold for £4,900
    https://auctions.bertolamifinearts.com/en/lot/39992/an-agate-cameo-by-ga-santarelli-mounted-/

Either cameos become more appreciated or the money gets cheaper.

From Bertolami’s catalog and exactly as Bronwen said:
    “Such model most likely derives from an ancient one, as evidenced by the cast (within the Paoletti repertoire) classified as a work by Antonio Santarelli (1758-1826) and referred to as "Citerista, da una pittura di Ercolano" - "zitherist/guitarist, from a painting in Ercolano" (see the wall paintings of Pompeii). The cameo is signed SANTARELLI F.”

Bronwen, you should be a consultant to a posh auction house.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    PepperAnna, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Bronwen

As the cities buried by the eruption of Vesuvius were excavated, the finds published & eventually opened to the public, frescoes found at Pompeii & Herculaneum became major influences on art of the day, including glyptics.

upload_2020-12-19_10-29-18.png

DancerEarrings.jpg

2DancersCleaner (2).PNG

Maenad Centaur 1A.jpg

Two sculptures by Canova, inspired by the dancers of Pompeii & Herculaneum, also found their way into the work of engravers such as Giovanni & Luigi Pichler as well as lesser mortals.

[​IMG]

If I were going to turn La Citerista (the kithara player) into a Muse I would make her Terpsichore, as she is in a dancing posture.

I see Bertolami put huge estimates on the glyptics in that auction. Few reached expectations. A couple of glass copies of Poniatowski gems exceeded them.

19. Bronwen

20. Bronwen

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and fridolina like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted