Cameo Signature Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, May 30, 2019.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

It's possible that "Silz" is "Sch" with a flourish.

morgen94 and KSW like this.
  2. Jivvy

First name "Charles."
    (removed material because I don't want to get in trouble for posting proprietary information)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    KSW and Bronwen like this.
  3. Jivvy

KSW, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Oh, brava!!! That looks extremely promising. Guidebooks like this did not discriminate against shell cameo cutters, & look who I found mentioned in the Appendix:

upload_2019-5-31_20-5-4.png

Bissinger is a known name.

[​IMG]

Francati & Santamaria were major dealers in both raw materials & finished work, with establishments in more than one place. I wondered whether the name that kicked off this whole thread could be Francati, but doesn't seem to fit.

I was puzzled why there were not more results for searching within the book for 'cameo'. Turns out Italy is not one of the countries included.

You just added great stuff while I was typing all this.

The ad is for Charles Schmoll, the successor establishment to Schmoll Senior & Son, which was founded in 1838. They offer a large assortment of cameos in both hardstone and shell at good prices. Maybe kyratango can enlighten us on the meaning of 'med. expos. 1878' Suspect it means they won a medal at the exposition of that year. Charles Schmoll & the earlier firm seem to be primarily dealers. Looks like Charles began to cut cameos himself. He seems to have signed everything he ever made, including this one:

Silz Hera front.jpg

He never reached the highest level of skill, but got pretty good. He attempted some very ambitious things. This one, which is mine, almost works:

Sel1B.jpg

It is now going to be very hard for anyone to convince me that you have not hit on the correct solution to the puzzle. :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Simona Buhus, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Jivvy

I feel like I just won a medal at the exposition. :woot::kiss:

Msalicia, Simona Buhus, KSW and 7 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

@Jivvy Really phenomenal research. The BnF link just gets me to a vast list of newspapers. Can you find your way back to the ad & find out the name & date of the paper? I tried using advanced search. I got entries for an ill-tempered Schmoll who was known as Molle, but hoping not our guy. Can you also navigate me to the electoral rolls with the signature sample. Think you have it exactly right: he mostly signed himself Sch, but sometimes Sll. I need to gather the documentation in a way that allows anyone else to find it.

You may now officially consider yourself a glyptics scholar! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Simona Buhus, KSW, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

upload_2019-5-31_20-48-57.jpeg

Simona Buhus, KSW, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

CACF37BC-69CF-444A-A8F2-FC71A951AF92.jpeg @Jivvy GOLD STAR!!
    I couldn’t even figure out which one we were looking for. :confused:

KSW, kyratango, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  9. Jivvy

Trust me, I got mixed up on that very thing more than once today.:hilarious:

KSW, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. Jivvy

lol, no I cannot. But I just used the simple search -- try something like : schmoll camee 132 turenne

And I'm going to see if I can find a public source for the French Electoral Rolls... or maybe @kyratango has some thoughts.

It didn't occur to me that the French Electoral Roll is his actual signature.:bucktooth:

KSW, Figtree3, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jivvy

Don't know if this helps, but I was able to go back through my screenshots and find this title.

temp.png

KSW likes this.
  12. Bronwen

I got carried away looking through what I could find in the BnF for Reverchon. In your screenshot right above, you can see the names Reverchon & Poinsignon listed too. I also have a piece signed Poinsignon:

Poinsignon Erato.jpg

Off to find the almanack. But first, feed the cats. :)

KSW, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  13. Jivvy

14. Jivvy

Oh, and I believe the French Electoral Rolls can be found here, but I don't believe they are free (because even I can recognize the euro symbol and a shopping cart):

https://www.geneaservice.com/

KSW, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

How did you get the screenshot of the entry for Schmoll? It took me a minute, but did realize that was his signature; I'd know that S anywhere.

KSW likes this.
  16. Bronwen

KSW and Jivvy like this.
  17. Jivvy

Check your inbox. :greyalien:

Edit: and for everyone else, it's possible I got overly excited and posted materials I pay to access, but shouldn't post in a public forum. :bag: I've gone back and edited that info out of my post. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  18. Bronwen

They got it from what is essentially an open access source, public records & you have paid them for finding it. If you want to share for free something you bought... Besides, their whole project works on networking. Do they pay you when you supply your own genealogical info to them? Anyway, I may be one of the only people in the world who care & I'm set. :)

KSW likes this.
  19. Jivvy

Omg, this is a topic I could rant on about for years. YEARS.

But I'm to too happy with all my awards today, I'll leave it be. :joyful:

KSW, Phaik Hooi and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

If only they could all be like this:

PoinsignonSigB.jpg

But then, how would Jivvy stay occupied? :joyful::joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted