Cameo Signature Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, May 30, 2019.

1. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Hi Bronwen, Actually, they are already posted for you to use, along with some info about those cameos. Please check the Show& Tell or Ask & Answer thread. I posted better pics of them yesterday. :)

I have more gent and lady cameos for your board. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them for you in the Show & Tell or Ask & Answer thread or if there is another thread where you would like me to post them, just tell me. I am happy to share! Do you have BH Kinney's signature? One of my gents is by him.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The S&T thread Is just fine. That way all the regulars will see them.

I do not have Kinney, although feel I have seen the name before. American?

3. PepperAnna

Yes, he is American. I listed him in the American cameo carvers thread. Maybe you saw his name there?

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Like as not. Thanks for reminding me about that thread. Not sure I mined all the info there. I am so, so behind, on everything. :(

5. PepperAnna

Signature help needed: Michelini or Dolcini?

I bought this little cameo a while back because I could see writing and was intrigued. The seller could not provide a clear picture of the back, so I took a chance. 20220531_153656.jpg

Well, I received the cameo, flipped it over and saw 2 signatures- Dolcini and Michelini.
    20220531_153539.jpg

20220531_154237.jpg
    I recognized the Dolcini signature because I already have one.

20220531_155931.jpg But I have nothing to compare to the Michelini signature. I believe I read in this thread that Michelini had a shop where he would sell other carvers' cameos- am I hallucinating? Does someone have Michelini's signature to post for comparison. I have seen several cameos with signatures that could be deciphered as Michelini on cameos that are not very detailed.

I wonder if established artists who had shops signed the cameos that they purchased for shop inventory? This would explain the 2 signatures. Thoughts?

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

[​IMG]

Edit. Fingers crossed.

Michelini Saint signature A2.JPG

Definitely Michelini there. I have 9 of his pieces, ranging in age & quality, & photos of many more. At one time eBay was riddled with them. To me the signature looks like the rhythm strip from an EKG. I had a couple of Michelinis before I even knew it. He took more care with his signature when he worked with hardstone, after Girometti took him on.

Somewhere in the show & tell thread I made the joke that I have made many times about Michelini, that there are so many around, he must have been giving them away with every purchase from the shop. I have seen a social media (forget which) post where the poster is excitedly showing the Michelinis she has found & stating that he gave them away as if it were gospel truth. Sigh. Joke, people, joke.

'Dolcini' was put on after 'Michelini'. I have a little hardstone bacchante - these seem to have been his bread & butter piece - with a signature that has been messed with. The date is 1841:

View attachment 389652 View attachment 389653

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

When I click your attachment I get this message.

Antiques Board - Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Have you got a setting set to private ?

10. Bronwen

Thanks for getting on it so quickly. Files are just jpg, under size limit. They're my photos, but when I click the links, I don't have sufficient privileges to see them. Has my status changed in some way?

11. i need help

Are you uploading directly or from the gallery?

12. Bronwen

Not that I'm aware. Have not changed anything in my settings since I joined.

13. Bronwen

Directly. Have done it just the same way what must be hundreds of times by now.

14. Bronwen

I'm going to log out & back in, to see if that helps.

i need help likes this.
  15. Bronwen

16. Bronwen

17. i need help

You solved it! :)

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Think somehow mid-message I got logged out. I don't know how to fix anything electronic except to try turning it off, then on again.

PepperAnna and i need help like this.
  19. Bronwen

20. Bronwen

The first bit is the catalogue listing & second bit is from Forrer. Note he got the name wrong & has it as Michelino.

Michelini Exhibition history.jpg

Think this must be the cameo of Force conquered by Cleverness, although it does not seem to be recognized as that now. (Wish I'd saved a link to where I found it. :( )

B8 Hardstone Force Outwitted.jpg

Found it. Pinterest with no further info.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/392728029976442202/

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    PepperAnna and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted