Cameo Signature Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, May 30, 2019.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just something I ran into now that Jivvy has set me on a new research avenue. It's the catalogue for a Paris exposition devoted to things for & by women:

http://188.165.186.89/artsdeco/images/centredoc/Multimedias/doc-artnouveau-artdeco/Catalogues de salon-expositions/Expositions MAD/1892-exposition-art-de-la-femme.pdf

It's in French, of course, but you don't need to know much to have a good time with it. Expect @kyratango will have the best time. Maybe she will tell us what 'bimbeloterie' is. :)

KSW and Jivvy like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thanks for the link, Bronwen.
    Bookmarked it!
    Bimbeloterie.... trinkets !

KSW, Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

What every woman needs. Of course we know some men need them too.:joyful:

KSW, Jivvy and kyratango like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

There are a number of entries to look at in this book (including scrolling back a page from where this link lands you), but I've highlighted my favorite.

Of course, I have no idea what time period we're supposed to be looking at. :woot:

And I know he's listed as "gem engraver" and we seem to be looking at shell in the provided images. :woot::woot:

But there were several Mocchi medalists listed, so. :woot::woot::woot:

https://books.google.com/books?id=K...051#v=onepage&q=Lorenzo Ciglia Mocchi&f=false

temp.png

KSW, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jivvy

Although... I suspect you would have already looked at this Stefano Mocchi as he appears to be in the "Big Book" of medallists. :bored:

KSW, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  8. Bronwen

I have. They're all much too early. My guy is probably from the first 2/3 of the 19th century. But it was seeing that name when I was trying to figure out the signature on the cameos that influenced my reading of it; at least it was a real name. :)

KSW likes this.
  9. Jivvy

That "real name" thing is compelling. :cat:

KSW, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Has to be pronounceable & to make phonetic sense in some language. Helps to find someone, anyone who has the name you think you see, the way you & I checked on Schmoll & Schmolz. :)

KSW, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  11. Jivvy

For anyone still playing, this is back to the original question. I think the circled letters are plausible as "vi" (minus the dot over the "i", I know).

temp01.jpg

KSW, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

I'm still playing, but think you've blown everyone else off the court. It is plausible & lack of a dot is not a problem. Still left with the question of what pronounceable combination of letters comes immediately before & after that?

KSW, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  13. Jivvy

Haven't come up with anything workable as of yet, but the possibility of that "r" being an "i" opens up some avenues and I thought I should share -- in case it sparks just the right note with someone else.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  14. Jivvy

The top half of the following image is what I saw as problematic... the bottom half a possible solution.
    temp02.jpg

KSW likes this.
  15. Jivvy

In German, is cameo "miniatur" "kamee" or something else?

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Kamee.

Jivvy likes this.
  17. Bronwen

The cameo I first thought was Michelini, then reassessed as probably 'Mocchi', has turned out to be my second Reverchon:

Reverchon Arethusa mine A.jpg Reverchon Arethusa mine B.jpg

On my other Reverchon cameo, the signature is positioned so the R is scratched into a rough area of shell & barely visible. Between the 2 of them, I can put together how the whole name looks. The other one has 'graveur' below the name. Here it looks like he only got as far as the 'g.'

Aquitaine, kyratango, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice one!

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

20. Jivvy

Thank you, @Bronwen ... sorting out L avet/L bonnet/ B bonnet is proving interesting.

Currently I have the best track on L bonet. But they are all a bit slippery.

I suspect foul play in the drawing room with a candlestick, :woot: but it's more likely mistranscribed records that I haven't yet found. :bored:

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted