Cameo Signature Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, May 30, 2019.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

No immediate connection, but sticking with this guy for a bit.

Before I go on for too long, ballpark on age of the piece?

If nothing else, he had an interesting career path -- if I'm correct he was Jeweler, Jeweler, Coal Mine Electrician, Optometrist. :jawdrop::confused::hilarious:

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's not in a setting, so not as many clues to age as there might be. Condition a bit shaky; execution extremely good, so, maybe 1870 - 1890? Guy you're pursing seems to be dodging around like Louis Avet. I can see how he might have used some comparable skills as a lens grinder & a jeweller. Where the coal mine electrician would come into it..?

3. Jivvy

This guy was born in 1888. He was working on his own account by 1910, but is that far too late?

So far, I think this guy was just in the wrong place, wrong time/economy for jewelry. Plus he had four kids to support. The coal mine episode was 1930.

Now I'm moving forward with him just because he's interesting. :p

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Jivvy

He did train as a boy. In 1909, he bought the shop he trained in.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

In my far from infallible judgement, yes.

6. Bronwen

What part of the country?

7. Jivvy

Iowa. Of all places.

Have not yet been able to ascertain what sort of jewelry he (or his previous master) created.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

My mother was from Iowa, so have done time there, visiting grandparents. Where in Iowa?

9. Jivvy

Grundy Center. Yeah, it's a real place, I checked. :bucktooth:

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Jivvy

bringing this forward because I'm so enchanted with the guy I've found, I've forgotten about the cameo in question.

*squinting*

Name still works. Not ideal, but works.

Not saying it out loud (to avoid coloring what others see, if I ever find my guy and "cameo" on the same page, I'll say it, lol).

temp01.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

I don't even know what quadrant that's in. My mother had a cousin in Buffalo Center; I've been there.

12. Jivvy

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Jivvy

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Jivvy

And Otto Supe's store was "jewelry and optical goods" (I swear, it's in the newspaper).

Still no mention of "cameo"... Supe did employ engravers.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

I was getting there.

Would you believe the non-Iowa side of my family was from that same part of Michigan?

Jivvy likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Well, sounds good for the name you're following. I have a possibility for the signature with a jewellery shop in Oakland, CA that opened during the right period, but wrong first initial, unless what I see as pretty clearly C can really be an M.

17. Jivvy

Before owning his own shop and before going to Michigan, my guy worked at another shop that was "jewelers and opticians"...

So, I've pretty clearly shown that you can be a jeweler and become an optician and it makes sense.

Is that not why you brought me here? :hilarious:

Phaik Hooi and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Absolutely. At least half the things I've 'discovered' I found when I was looking for something else. You just never know what will turn out to be useful. :)

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  19. Bronwen

Could this be the same signature?

upload_2019-6-10_14-42-34.png

20. Jivvy

I'll give it a strong "could be." But also a "not so sure."

In other news, I'm calling it on my guy. He may have carved a lot of cameos, but if so, nobody ever mentioned it.

And just how bad were things in 1930 (coal mining year)? His eldest daughter is listed as his "male" "son" (I mention both because they don't always match) and is working in the coal mine. Yes, I'm absolutely certain it's the right family. And his eldest daughter.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted