Cameo Signature Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, May 30, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Where was he when working in coal mine(s)?

Jivvy likes this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Franklin, Illinois.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Jivvy

4. Bronwen

5. Jivvy

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. Jivvy

Given the suspicion that not all "Mouhé" are one Mouhé, could the first listing above include two other cameo-cutters? "nacrier" and "objets en nacre"

Or are they doing something else entirely? Or perhaps it's unclear.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

What KSW said!!!

I'm just getting going for the day. Not sure I can take the shock!

I feel let down by the BnF for not producing this one in a search for 'Mouhé graveur', when it did produce the 1881 volume where we got good info when looking for the Schmolls. I had seen the wine merchant.

I would say the graveur & the nacrier are different people; the question is whether there were 2 nacriers or only 1 with 2 addresses. Good chance they are related: Mouhé is not such a common name; engraving shell and making things of MOP are closely related occupations. Not surprised to see the graveur of 1855 also worked with hardstone; the best of the shell pieces exhibit the degree of skill required.

Bon. Mouhé. Now: more than one graveur? Or one with a variable way of writing J?

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What KSW said!!!

I'm just getting going for the day. Not sure I can take the shock!
    Sorry, I quoted the wrong paragraph and couldn't delete it!

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

I figured, but quoting it did a good job of expressing my speechlessness. :)

kyratango and KSW like this.
  11. Jivvy

I'm at about 98% for "more than one."

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

There's a Mouhé signature that is strictly cursive & another that is closer to printing. Think I'm at 100% that there are at least 2.

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  13. Jivvy

14. Bronwen

@Jivvy Maybe you can find the alleged 1857. I only see what might be 57 because I've ben told it's there:

upload_2019-6-11_15-59-41.png

Meanwhile, @kyratango would you mind doing an Internet search from there to see if Google will give different results for Mouhé + any of these words: graveur; coquillage; pierre; camée. Jivvy & I suspect it may like you better. :)

KSW, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  15. Jivvy

Here to serve, even before you ask it. :woot::hilarious:

KSW, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

KSW likes this.
  17. Jivvy

I'm convinced, but the resolution of the jpg is so very bad, I'm afraid I can't do much more with it.

KSW, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Just tried... internet keeps on giving either mouche (bzz bzz:hilarious:) or modern camées makers/sales:arghh::banghead::muted:
    Tried 19e siecle MOUHÉ... still results showing mouche:rolleyes::dead:

Anyway, this acertain my lack of research skills, and my grumpiness :vamp:about those results:oops::shy:

KSW, Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Ma chère, You can tell the search engine which words you do not want to find by adding them with a negative sign after the words you do want: Mouhé graveur -mouche

I am getting inconsistent results from Google using the same terms in separate windows. I't like a treasure hunt. Looking for Mouhé, found a little more about Schmoll. Maybe you will find the golden egg. :kiss::kiss:

KSW, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  20. Bronwen

Graveurs 1855 A-D.jpg

This is the 1855 Almanach. Now we have the Schmoll Brothers, presumably one of the family shops, & a number of engravers with an asterisk after the name, at various addresses. Does this mean the shop carried the work of these engravers? Or they made work for the Schmolls?

Draft saved Draft deleted