Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Knew you would not be disappointed. Lots of older pieces from the UK are 9K gold, so don't look very yellow. Unless you have scalded your hand, take it the light made everything look so red that way. I like the way the wings of the eagle could almost be the neckline of her robe.

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Gorgeous cameo!!!!!!!
    greg

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow! Truly a beautiful buy :woot:

Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you aaron, am still stunned, of course it's my first (and may be my only!) but hard to take my eyes off of her!!!!!

Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
  5. Aquitaine

And thank you Bronwen, Greg and Kyra!!!! I couldn't be happier!!!!!:D:hilarious::D:hilarious::):):)

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Uh-uh. Cameos are like potato chips.

Marko, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

:joyful::joyful::joyful::happy::happy:

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, congratulations, stunning!

Bronwen, I love a good jewelry mystery. I will sometimes buy a piece just so I can figure out the puzzle. There are some I still haven't figured out yet. I find the fun for me is in the finding, not the having. Having isn't bad, though.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

I like cameo mysteries, but better still is solving them. :joyful:

10. Bronwen

@kyratango Do you know anything about the Paris firm T. P. Danbiere? Looks like they may be the source of a couple of frequently seen artificial cameos that are so convincing they are routinely mistaken for genuine amber or coral. When you search, you'll know you have often seen them. I get images here but company info not readily available. Should probably specify I want results in French. Thanks for anything you can add.

kyratango likes this.
  11. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Lucky to have spent an entire month with two solid weeks in Florence....I died a hundred times, overwhelmed by beauty, at least half those deaths in Ponte Vecchio shops. Mugged my first night there, though.

Kasemi, Marko, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bronwen

Lucky you didn't die for the last time then! Naples is supposed to be not for the timid.

13. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

@Bronwen They only got my cruddy old camera & it took awhile to notice that - two guys linked arms over my shoulders & sort of bounced me around in a circle. I thought it was just an Italian welcoming custom....:bucktooth:

14. Bronwen

How very Italian, sort of a soft mugging. The one time I was mugged, here in the US, got slugged in the jaw a couple of times. Ironically, my fabric handbag got ripped, some things fell out, including my cash, while muggers got away with my ID & house keys. Would have preferred it to have been the other way round.

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It did the same thing to me. No notice of no nothing. A cameo I posted about is now in hiding in my hoard...and if you don't believe that, you should see the hoard. There aren't many cameos in it however; she'll pop back up. The only other one I can think of is a rather lousy Three Graces.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

A cameo you posted about on this thread? Or a blast from the past? They do like to play hide & seek. Mine are more a horde than a hoard. :happy:

17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hi Bronwen:) yes, I've seen these "cameos", found nothing about the maker T.P.DANBIERE, but this pic of same trinket box seems to be signed T.P.DONBEINE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/802481-7462/19th-Century-Fine-French-Silver-Inlay
    We had on CW a discussion about the lady with vines here:[​IMG]
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/199255-what-could-this-be-material-brooch-set
    The "marble" plaque with signature and 1889 date seems to be from the era... Puzzling:confused:

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Bronwen

Thanks for looking into it from over there. Amazed there is just nothing on the company or inventor of the material(s) used.
    CW not only had the one you show, the posting with the most love was originally put up as lava, then emended, as you know, 4 years earlier by the same member.
    It does look more like Donbeine, doesn't it? Danbiere, may not be correct, but it has become generally accepted & a search for Donbeine comes up empty. Their pieces are amazing. The woman holding the bird always sells for a good price, even when seller is aware the material is man made & says so explicitly.

upload_2018-4-11_5-31-47.png

The 1889 'marble' plaque is connected with the Exposition Universelle of that year. If it was exhibited, wonder under what category?

Like the original Incolay Studios, completely underappreciated.

kyratango likes this.
  19. Bronwen

The stone faced guy in garnet fireworks arrived today. He's a brick red on a medium brown field with the one stripe of white used for the band holding his hair. (Other whitish areas are lighting artifacts.) As usual, didn't notice until photos were edited that there is a cat hair on it, across the hair.

The garnets are set into a separate piece attached to the back by little hooks. Someone must have loved/valued the cameo very much: first they upgraded it to evening wear with the garnets; then had it repaired and reinforced when the hinge broke away.

The garnets are a richer red than photo captures and very glittery. The round ones are rose cut. The pear shaped ones do not have a flat table on top; I am wondering whether they were set with the faceted pavilion upward & the flat side down in the metal.

Still don't know who he is, most likely a Greek philosopher.

Red brown philosopher 2A.jpg Red brown philosopher 2B.jpg Red brown philosopher 2C.jpg

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Unusual -- I like it!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted