Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

After seeing her in the Finds thread, I had my fingers crossed she would turn out to be signed. Maybe @Jivvy can discern something legible amidst the crosshatching. The work is certainly of a quality to sign with pride.

See @bluumz post #2643 for a reversible setting idea:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/cameos-show-tell-or-ask-answer.23493/page-133#post-840398

Someone really took care over breaking her out of the background, even opening space between ribbon ends. Very, very nice. :)

kyratango, BMRT and Xristina like this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Sadly, nope. Nothin'.

On another note, do you have a name for the woman I call "Diadem Lady"?

In my ongoing quest to find early Headband Girl and Ponytail Girl, I dug out Baubles, Buttons, and Beads: The Heritage of Bohemia by Sibylle Jargstorf -- and found a Diadem Lady labeled as circa 1880 (not the one pictured, this one I snagged from the internet).

temp01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    kyratango, Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  3. Bronwen

I have a folder with the individual photos labeled in various ways, some with 'diadem' in the file name. The folder is 'Woman w Pendant', as there seem to be variants in this regard. She appears in this salesman's sample set:

Glass Sample Set B.jpg Glass Sample Set D adj.jpg

Some others:

Black Green Bejeweled B1.jpg Woman diadem pendant.JPG Veil Pendant 1.jpg red black hardstone look.JPG Woman w Pendant galalith per seller.jpg Bejeweled White adj.jpg Woman w pendant photo photo Germany.jpg

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Jivvy

The one being worn in the last photo appears to have the same gilding as the one in the book that's labeled 1880.

From Baubles, Buttons, and Beads: The Heritage of Bohemia by Sibylle Jargstorf

20190827_184542.jpg

5. Bronwen

I have the photo labeled as being from Germany.

Black bejeweled woman 4A adj.jpg Black bejeweled woman 4B adj.jpg Black_Pendant_1.jpg

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now we have a Czech headband lady to go with the German hairband lady?

7. Jivvy

I have to go with Diadem Lady and Headband Girl.

Plus, Czech Glass Psyche. :joyful:

kyratango, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Bronwen

My personal name for this one is Bejeweled Lady. Only see her in Vulcanite-type material.

Black bejeweled woman 3 adj.JPG Black_bejeweled_1.JPG Black bejeweled woman 2.JPG
    Has that Mucha/deco look.

Houseful, kyratango, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

First day on the job as a cameo carver? :wideyed:

[​IMG]

BMRT, Bronwen, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to call the vulcanite ones Trojan Hoard Lady; she looks like she's wearing it.(LOL) The one above ... may also have been the carver's last day.

bluumz, Bronwen, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe influenced by Pablo Picasso?

bluumz, Bronwen, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jivvy

I like vulcanite lady... I wonder if she is traditional dress of somewhere, modeled after a piece of art, carver's fancy, or maybe a combination of all...

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  14. Jivvy

:hilarious:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

We can only hope. What was in the mind of whoever thought it was worth setting, even if cheaply?

kyratango and bluumz like this.
  16. Bronwen

Mucha muchacha:

[​IMG]

BMRT, kyratango and bluumz like this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This conch shell cameo is coming to live with me soon.
    There are no wings on the cap... is it still considered to be a depiction of Mercury/Hermes?
    I love the blushing cheek!

cameocap1.jpg cameocap2.jpg cameocap3.jpg

Houseful, Figtree3, BMRT and 3 others like this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Awww, this handsome guy will be happy with you:):joyful: Right! He is blushing!
    Thinking he looks more like a Napolitan character, with his cap and "scarf".
    @Bronwen will know :)

Jivvy, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  19. Bronwen

Ooh, I love him! It's too bad more really good cutters seem never to have explored the possibilities of this material.

A little speed research found this:

http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/41161CF0-F711-485C-8761-733A4541C849

This type of cap, a pilos, is an attribute of Odysseus in conventional depictions, but this guy is too youthful looking for the wily guy from Ithaca. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean he has no specific identity. I never got a reply the one time I asked what exactly 'unpublished Tassie' means at the Archive. What I have observed is that they are Tassie impressions they have that are not part of the set that is matched up with the catalogue, that seem to have had descriptions written by undergrads in classics whose job was to describe what they saw, e.g., young man with pilos, not to make a definitive ID, although there are often tentative suggestions, followed by a question mark.

To pursue further, the next step would be to start thinking of who it could be, Paris, Odysseus or STOP THE PRESSES! Had one more thought about whom to add to the list, who would wear a pilos like Odysseus but be younger, & it occurred to me that his son Telemachus might reasonably be indicated that way &, tada!

http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/A0DA01DF-516D-46AE-ADC4-48B386D83370

In this case, 'unpublished' is correct; this impression is not in the catalogue. OK, we can all relax now.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Figtree3, Jivvy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@Bronwen, thank you, that's him! And thanks for the name of the pilos/pileus cap, it didn't quite appear to be a phrygian cap since it didn't have a longer bent-over apex.

Draft saved Draft deleted