Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Truth be told, the Princess can come off as little tone-deaf, but these days it's difficult not to fall afoul of the PC Police. And it was a nice pin.

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That very brief article did cite some incidents that suggest Princess Michael still has a rather patronizing, colonizing power attitude & is oblivious to how she comes across. It was a very strange choice to wear for an event where Meghan Markle was present, which is what really got press attention. You know what a game it is to stir up controversy about royals.

3. Bronwen

I had a friendly relationship with one seller, from whom I bought the Reverchon Perseus cameo. After I pointed out that a netsuke she was selling for 100s of dollars was not distinguishable from modern ones being sold for less than $25 & advised she be careful about how she represented hers, she never replied nor contacted me again.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It did get Princess Michael some press, which may have been the idea. Then again she's never struck me as being too bright, and her dad was a full on Nazi.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

OK, could have put this with the problem children in the cameo signature thread, but she's also a new acquisition so I'll show, & maybe you'll tell me what this signature is. Not sure my idea is correct.

Solier Bacchante 1A.jpg Solier Bacchante 1B.jpg

6. Bronwen

This is one I've had for some years now, also with a signature that appears perfectly legible, or almost. What do the rest of you see? The original is a painting by Guido Reni of Beauty fending off Time.

Vitoli Beauty Time 1A.jpg Vitoli Beauty Time 1B.jpg Beauty Time Harvard after Reni.jpg

Xristina likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Went to a house sale last year and found a wonderful old red leather box with papers saying the plate is sterling all in French. I asked at the check out
    where is the plate. The woman said a gentleman bought the plate a half hour ago. He told the woman that it was silver plate and got it for 3 dollars. He ran off without the box and papers. I bought the empty box for a dollar. It was 13" in diameter.
    greg

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

This could be a foremother of Ponytail Girl:

[​IMG]

Findings & construction put it to first half of 20th:

[​IMG]

Xristina and kyratango like this.
  9. Bronwen

Saw this & thought of you. The Czech glass Psyche we see so often:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Another step toward P.G.:

upload_2019-9-12_3-22-48.png

kyratango likes this.
  11. Bronwen

??!!??!!??!!

[​IMG]

kyratango likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Have recently heard a guest, who must have a book out, making the rounds of public radio programs talking about how the curriculum in most of our schools is not suited to the needs of the time. An example he gave was requiring classes in a foreign language. Most of us never get truly proficient, so what's the point? That's the point, to learn words like argent.

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Cameos and I go way back. :)
    My wedding, circa 1995, wearing a cameo necklace, earrings, and ring:

106228D7-A329-4EDB-B9EF-320CE53DEC7C.jpeg 389E6F45-F219-4F05-852E-20B4D19161A3.jpeg DFE35357-9286-4A17-AED6-DC4AB8791535.jpeg 68DAF723-A6D7-47A3-8514-4CEDBC264085.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Xristina, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thank you! :shy:

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  16. Bronwen

Wish there were an @Everybody tag to call the whole community to come look. So much warmth & joy comes through & you were every inch the Victorian bride. (Imagine you know she started the vogue for white wedding dresses.) The hair decoration has a very period feel, with all those tiny pearls. And love the bodice of the dress.

Is the right hand ring a cameo too? In 1995 I had no idea cameos would take over my life. If you were getting married in 2019, bet you'd choose a very different cameo for the necklace. ;):kiss:

Xristina, Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:shy::happy: Thank you!

The right hand ring is indeed a cameo. I still have my pieced together set of brooch, ring, and earrings. The brooch and earrings were new but the ring belonged to my grandmother, just something she picked up sometime at a charity shop in England (something borrowed… though she let me keep it!)
    And yes, I would choose very different cameos if I were to be married again, LOL. :rolleyes:

94DB3ACF-5BDB-40C0-8CBF-FE1D9DD463C1.jpeg

Xristina, Bakersgma, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

The floral one you just got would look wonderful on a simple strand of pearls. I know kyratango would approve. :)

bluumz and kyratango like this.
  19. Bronwen

@kyratango

She is now sitting on the desk in front of me. It's a funny little piece, made over from a brooch to a pendant. I like her very much & am surprised we do not regularly see cowrie shell used in this way to give the effect of stone.

[​IMG]

Bath time, I think.

Figtree3, kyratango and bluumz like this.
  20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:joyful: Isn’t she lovely;)?
    I followed her and regularly visited the listing:) ... She is now in good company:kiss:

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted