Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for the link... Interesting information!

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@bluumz @Figtree3 I owe Hadrien a note. Will tell him you enjoyed. Think somewhere in it he mentions how appalled he is by things a friend shows him from eBay. Guessing that would be me. On the other hand, when I first knew him, he pooh-poohed anything later than high neoclassical and anything other than stone. I have managed to corrupt him. He still prefers Renaissance & earlier, ideally lavishly set with interesting provenance, but does now sometimes pay attention to 19th century & even bought a signed shell one (to sell) at my urging. He has a special interest in gems by Saint-Gaudens. It took a lot of delicate handling of a schizzy seller, but hooked him up with a cameo by Lebrethon, S-G's second teacher found, yes, on eBay.

bluumz, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  3. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Here is another I’ve added to my assortment:
    B2161180-AEF1-48BF-921C-05F3863B64FE.jpeg A88AFA7A-E187-40D8-9C01-B942111DB45F.jpeg Is this depiction one of Demeter? That’s my guess because it looks like wheat is around her.

Bronwen, Xristina, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice one!

I would guess she is Demeter, but will wait for @Bronwen to say for sure.

Bronwen, kyratango and BMRT like this.
  5. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Beautiful, @BMRT !

On a totally different note, here is one sick puppy.. she's not mine, I've found it while rummaging for cameos on the web..
    50828189115031RuyM.jpg 69923959115033RuyM.jpg

Jivvy, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

A rather exuberant Ceres/Demeter it is:

https://cameotimes.com/index.php/profiles-1/olympian-gods/ceres-demeter

Pose is similar to this rather exuberant Psyche:

[​IMG]

Wheat & Wings apoppin'!

Jivvy, Figtree3, BMRT and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

You have to wonder if someone went at it with scouring powder, poor thing. :(

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Bronwen this is wonderful. Thankyou for posting. I love the dog being petted.
    IMG_4836.JPG

kyratango, Jivvy, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

It's a favorite of mine too. All allegorical: passionate love; faithful love; the love that got away.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Saw this up at a local auction house. Sorry only photo there is. Is this worth going to look at as it's broken?
    IMG_4838.PNG IMG_4839.PNG IMG_4840.PNG

kyratango, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

Deliberating it with myself, the conclusion is, probably not. But depends on how big a deal it is to go there, what you would have to give up doing instead, how much they expect to get, whether there is anything else among that stuff that appeals to you (I'd want to know more about the box itself). The other cameo is uninteresting. This one is quite good. Too bad someone probably damaged it by removing it from a gold mount. Unless it is signed, & by a recognized name, it is probably not worth the investment of time & attention all by itself. And you can't know without taking a direct look at the back. I only very, very rarely buy a cameo that is part of a lot of otherwise unwanted stuff. I have to really want it, & it has to be really cheap.

That doesn't make your decision, but those are the things you have to consider, if you haven't already. Also, for you? Or resale? If latter, doubt it would be a good buy. :)

kyratango, BMRT and KSW like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

For me. I only sell stuff I don't like and have a little (not so little) collection of stuff other people don't look at as it's not of monetary value. I love researching the history even if broken and damaged!.
    I may pop down and look to see if it's signed. It's estimate 60-80 so there would need to be some other bits in there to cover it. Thanks for your input. Very much appreciated:)

kyratango, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Bronwen

I have one quite like it that I love a lot. The cameo is similarly broken, but someone had a custom setting made for it that covers the back & follows the irregular contour of the edge.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There are some nice bits in that box. It would depend on the estimate and what other buyers typically do. If jewelry is hotly contested, I'd probably let someone else have it. If it goes begging I might have a go.

KSW, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  16. evelyb30

17. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  18. evelyb30

I've worn crazier, but not cameos.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Upper Left & Bottom left.....my guess!

20. Bronwen

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted