Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Migg

Migg Member

Those are gorgeous! This one is cold to the touch, like shell, so I just assumed. There are a few celluloid (I think) cameos which I didn't photograph and they feel room temperature.

I have a lot to learn.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a slice of malachite. One of my favorite stones.
    greg

Bronwen, BMRT and kyratango like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bronwen, BMRT, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

I thought as much when it arrived. I’m starting to catch on how omission is a way many people get around unloading pieces that have problematic qualities like this one.

I loved the malachite. It wasn’t until I compared it to the ivory one that my lightbulb came on but I figured it was worth asking y’alls opinion.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  5. evelyb30

It's one of those things. Companies with the I-word in stock either have to sit on it, donate it, or sell it without attribution and hope no one rats them out.

Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  6. BMRT

Surely. Ironic how I buy one assuming it’s ivory and end up with another in close proximity.

Ah well. I’ll enjoy her just the same and hope my kids figure out what to do with it when I’m gone. A shame as I had hoped to be incorrect and the carving be bone. The malachite is gorgeous and the marcasite sets off very nicely against it.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  7. evelyb30

I have a friend who likes ivory and takes it out of my hair at cost. I do have one or two pieces I'm keeping that I'm not going to worry about.

Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I've stayed out of this because I really can't tell what I'm looking at. Malachite & ivory? Malachite glass & shell? This box is glass:

[​IMG]

It's an unusual piece. I'm leaning to real malachite & shell. The figure is compact enough that it would have been possible to chip away all the surrounding brown background, no tousled tresses to deal with. Would like to see it clean & also a view taken from the edge. Careful about cleaning, it could come apart.

BMRT and kyratango like this.
  9. BMRT

@Bronwen I’ve given her a quick bath and some of the filth came off but not all. I’m worried about weakness in whatever adhesive was used to adhere the carved piece to the back so I didn’t risk prolonged contact with water and soap.

E2D089DE-97D1-4B3B-9189-29BC81F5A7A7.jpeg B0D9273E-8C32-4339-8F49-D614F3BE1669.jpeg 79214E4F-071E-4AA6-82B0-6E4C729A8340.jpeg 75BE6028-475F-48A4-9A40-F6F293443F33.jpeg 266AED6A-A687-4A95-B2B6-9F8D8992B4E4.jpeg 45983B86-6006-46F0-9088-D6C0C88F9182.jpeg D1327512-C01D-43FA-B1E9-BD2BAA9E874B.jpeg I’m surprised by how hard the features are to capture not matter what lighting I’m in.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

A bit overexposed, but I think the next to last pic shows Shreger lines.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

It does. She is ivory. I'm getting an Asian feel off her but can't explain why. Just the carving, not the whole thing.

kyratango, Jivvy and BMRT like this.
  12. BMRT

I’m messing with my iPhone settings... don’t know why all my pictures are overexposed. :confused:

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think it's hard for cameras to deal with the dark background (malachite) and the light foreground (Ivory).

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  14. BMRT

Another find today. I think this is glass, it certainly feels like it. Frame looks like brass maybe? I polished it up a bit. 7F75892F-77B7-4C51-97E3-7460BA1E97B2.jpeg C69F6559-3E7C-43FC-825D-C4F90B15C8FA.jpeg This one also has no marks anywhere of any kind. AD57B852-7414-4D14-9201-A57507C10C26.jpeg CF0519C9-360C-4DC4-AC76-970254B77941.jpeg The gentleman who sold her to me couldn’t tell me a single thing. His daughter collected them and was getting rid of some of them for whatever reason.

Figtree3, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

Yes, glass, & probably gilt brass. You can usually smell brass.

BMRT and kyratango like this.
  16. Arlene_V

Arlene_V Active Member

I bought this cameo quite a long time ago online.
    It was advertised as a lava cameo set in 14k.

My question is if later "lava" cameos like this one (which I think is from the first quarter of the 20th century ?) are made from a composite material and formed in a mould rather than actually being carved?

For some reason the picture of the back is showing first.

Argh, sorry I can't seem to fix this.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Bronwen, Bakersgma and BMRT like this.
  17. Bronwen

The basic answer is yes, this has been & continues to be done. It is a topic I wish I knew more about, i.e., when were cameos of this type first on the market?; how to know for sure a cameo is molded vs. carved? It is really clear with some hand carved pieces; the degree of undercutting could not be achieved with a mold. And some cameos are so flat, with such rounded lines, you have to think a mold was involved. And then there are pieces like your lovely bacchante, which are somewhere on the line between. My best thought is molded with hand touches added after, primarily with a drill. Scognamiglio makes molded 'lava stone' cameos, which I suspect are pulverized volcanic ash mixed with resin.

For some pix of other lava pieces:

https://www.cameotimes.com/index.php/reference/materials-guide?start=3

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Figtree3, kyratango and Arlene_V like this.
  18. Arlene_V

Arlene_V Active Member

Thanks Bronwen.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Bronwen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which parts of this description are probably correct & which not:

A antique Brooch all a rose gold TONE probably Pinchbeck the front as a 3d effect of a lady made of a hard stone the back is pressed flowers the brooch is able to swivel all the way around and fastens with a c-clasp safety chain attached

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Arlene_V

Arlene_V Active Member

Fun! I'll take a stab over my first cuppa this morning.

I'm not seeing hardstone.
    Not pinchbeck. That term is so overused it drives me crazy. Rolled gold perhaps?
    Those pressed flowers look strange, not sure what is going on there?
    Can't see the clasp so not sure if it is in fact a c clasp.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted