Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

You know, there is a sort of half moon rounded shape right in the center top of her hair; something may have been set there but idk. She came to me unmounted in a small $5 box of various Victorian bits from a little country house here in GA, so I've no idea really....One thing for sure, I was very happy that I got out of bed that morning.

viclotm.jpg viclote.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Oh my, all those hair bracelets! Quite a haul. Still think it is Ceres & the gap just the space between the 2 ends of the wreath.

Ceres or Persephone ivory.JPG

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The half moon denotes the goddess diana.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Would need to see it from other angles to form a final opinion. For now, I'm sticking with Ceres.

Think you mean a crescent moon is an attribute of Diana, although have seen many so plump they look like fluffy croissants.

yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
  5. Bronwen

Coral Diana.jpg
    This is a bad picture of a tiny coral Diana in my collection. The lamp over my desk makes everything look yellow. The paper behind is white; she is not so orange-y as this.

aaroncab and kyratango like this.
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes meant crescent moon!

yourturntoloveit and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Just came across this auction listing for four 19th century shell cameos. What's wrong with this picture?

upload_2018-5-10_6-57-0.png

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

They seem shell... 19th century to me...
    Your eye is so sharp you surely can see someting wrong which I don't realize:bucktooth:;)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  9. Bronwen

Look at the one on the left & then go back to the post of yours I replied to. Look familiar?

Edit: The other 3 are shell.

10. Bronwen

I adore cameos, of course, but some of them fascinate me in part because the findings are elaborate or unusual. Most often I see creative solutions to making a piece convertible from a pin to a pendant, but the safety measures taken on this one...

Double pin brooch.jpg

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Aahhh! Thanks Bronwen for pointing it.Of course!!!
    As I’m on vacation, my tablet isn’t good enough for images... so, this one is resin too?

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

That particular image is always artificial, although I have seen shell cameos that are similar. I have no idea whether or not 'resin' would be the correct term for the material Danbiere used. Wonder if the firm & their methods was ever documented, if there is a record, just not on line. These deserve admiration in their own right, along with early Incolay, so superior to any competitors.

Even when the seller recognizes & states explicitly in the description that one of these is artificial, the image is so appealing, they still fetch very good prices for costume quality brooches.

kyratango likes this.
  13. Bronwen

woman w dove agate Q.jpg Woman bird shell 2.jpg

I don't know whether the first one that looks like sardonyx was made by Danbiere; only one I have seen in this color & have never seen any other cameo of theirs cracked this way. Second one is helmet shell. Suspect it was inspired by the Danbiere cameos, not the other way around.

Aquitaine, pewter2 and kyratango like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bronwen,
    That second cameo you have pictured just took my breath away.
    greg

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

Afraid it is not mine, a photo I saved for exactly this purpose, as an instructional example. Hoping this thread will expose those with some interest in cameos to what more cameos can be than pretty ladies, although this one sort of falls into that category.

16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

Thanks for adding that. My favorites are the octopi. Japan is a big market for modern Italian work. Maybe we could invent a word for the style: camanime or animeo.

bluumz, moreotherstuff and Figtree3 like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

If I had that one I'd wear it daily. It's a famous piece. We think of Queen Victoria as popularizing cameo jewellery, but the whole Napoleonic court was mad for it.

Was someone else as taken with Queen Mary's bandeau tiara as I was?

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Queen Mary had her faults, but her taste in jewelry wasn't one of them. That everything all the time style wasn't so hot, but she knew a good pile of rocks when she saw one.

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted