Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@bluumz & everyone else:

Swinging Boy front Adj.jpg

The way the head/face were done makes me think fairly early.

bluumz, kyratango, BMRT and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

IMG_20200119_193434 (2).jpg
    Hi -- any insight on this cameo? It belonged to my mother-in-law from the Netherlands.
    I've promised to give it to my niece... family heirloom, trying to find pictures of family members so can tell how far it goes back.

Thanks
    Cheryl

bluumz, kyratango, stracci and 5 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Hand cut helmet shell, Venus & Cupid, would say 20th century, pre-WWII. A photo of the back may help pin down age a bit more; hinges & clasps can be highly informative. Welcome. Cheryl LBJ. :)

kyratango, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

5. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Love the little boarder, adds a delicateness to it!

6. BMRT

Here’s the locket I’ve posted in the Finds thread:
    B2C81503-6EDA-4C52-9FFB-5D8AA0E81678.jpeg 69F1A8BD-3D46-4BB8-9456-0EC690F233E8.jpeg 324C1194-8FDE-4D34-BD68-8523AE676EAA.jpeg 52928A20-6ECA-4BBA-B9A6-6D4812AA2E8B.jpeg The crack is unfortunately all the way across and in the shell. The locket was sold as gilt. The entire center spins in the setting and the glass looks to be original in the frame that pops out. I’ve removed the bit of paper the seller added. I think I’ve seen that same scratch signature in another part of this forum. Ringing any bells for anyone?

7. Bronwen

It's the 'Silz' variant (my term) of the signature of a prolific 19th century Parisian cameo cutter @Jivvy worked out is Charles Schmoll. The family had a shop selling various arty merchandise. I'm convinced he gave away a cameo with every purchase over 5 sous. These bacchantes must have been a hit because he did them repeatedly.

Silz small bacchante 1A Lisa adj.JPG Silz small bacchante 2A mine.jpg Silz Ariadne 1A Lisa adj.JPG

KSW, kyratango, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  8. BMRT

That’s two for me then, that I have from Mr. Schmoll!

KSW, kyratango, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bronwen

I save photos of signed cameos & have far more Schmolls than any other. Think he signed everything he ever did & must have been whittling away continuously.

KSW, kyratango and BMRT like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

KSW, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Unusual for sure!:joyful:

KSW, Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  12. kyratango

KSW, Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's cool, but definitely plastic. I'm seeing Brownwyn googling Redbubble.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

From what I can tell, 'BulganLumini' claims only to have made the picture, not the cameo, & that the pink color is part of the manipulation that was done to the image. Where did your photo come from?

upload_2020-2-26_20-43-17.png

It's a fabulous St. G, but from the one photo I'm not convinced it is ivory. Those striations on the background are not the growth pattern of any type of ivory I'm familiar with, & the way they run down so continuously, top to bottom says to me that at the least it was made in 2 pieces.

You're right, I had to look it up, although had some sense of what it is from the one listing. Wonder if this one's a big seller.

KSW likes this.
  15. kyratango

Yes, BulganLumini is an editor, they used a pic of an actual cameo to print on different objects:)

The striations on the background of St Georges are carved to give texture, not lines as on French ivorine, I strongly think genuine ivory from what I see! This piece must be identifiable somewhere?

KSW, Figtree3, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  16. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It came through on a Pinterest email and I’ve tracked it down to a site antiquecameos.net. Lovely pieces on her (Giovanna's) site.
    The original is ivory, it did look to me that pink plastic ones could be for sale as an antique.
    D3A05672-5F7F-4E7C-949F-A6291C19BFAA.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    KSW, Figtree3, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bronwen

I defer. Carver just took as much care with those striations as with the figures. If the piece is/was Giovanna Di Rosa's, I have no doubt of its authenticity. BulgLimini liked it too.

KSW, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I like this one much better:

[​IMG]

Re: the one you posted... how early is "early" and what about the face indicates this?

19. Bronwen

Oh, that one is just luscious. Has the auction ended yet? Would be interested to know what it tops out at.

It's the way the face could just as well be that of an adult; there's nothing childish about the proportions or features.

In this case 'early' is not super early - I've seen no evidence that helmet shell was used as a medium any earlier than the 19th century - but late Georgian - early Victorian.

KSW, bluumz and kyratango like this.
  20. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

did not realize pictures so out of focus.. can try again tonite ;-) Curious to hear if the back tells you anything. Thanks

Attached Files:

KSW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted