Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This just arrived in a job lot. It was a bit of a lucky dip as the sellers photos were so bad!. Only one and out of focus!
    This is telling me it has some age but probably not English - rose at the top?. It tests as silver but not marked do maybe low grade?
    Possibly had 5 danglies originally and also something in the two empty holes at the top.
    Cameo looks moulded, not special and stuck onto something black but that’s the limit of my deductions!. Is she someone or generic?
    Any help now welcome.
    Cameo is about 3/4 inch tall.
    Wasn’t sure if to put this in here or out in general population but I thought I’d start with the cameo.
    BF416B02-B8D0-417C-9F10-0252EBDF61F3.jpeg 8987AFF4-A96D-498B-A25E-760967864C6C.jpeg E6764A0E-4154-492E-94DA-560DAC15B425.jpeg AB214AC1-37BB-4C62-8CAF-706B8C713570.jpeg B6DD6F81-EA70-40B5-B8F6-49B0AB518885.jpeg 7B95F50A-C6DD-4885-B019-CFD5C97A78A2.jpeg 3B43ED89-E0BA-4363-BCB8-53067FC54332.jpeg C1C5FA35-9C8C-455D-879A-743276DC7636.jpeg B3B20FE5-B981-48F2-9BFB-7CA6057F4245.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Opening bid 200 EUR. I think not.

[​IMG]

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

She's got her head on backwards!
    I think someone changed their mind as to which way she was going to look and ended up with the broken neck look. Interesting.....

4. Bronwen

My goodness! The setting is positively baroque & more interesting than the cameo. You are probably correct that a couple of stones or maybe pearls are missing at the top, but it's really not obvious at all. With the simple acid test, 800 silver will test positive. From statements I've seen in some eBay listings, some people do not know that a positive acid test does not guarantee sterling.

Don't think I've seen the cameo before, even though no doubt mass produced. She looks like a progenitor of the ubiquitous German headband girl. Is she glass?

I think the piece has great interest of its own. If stones or dangles are missing, it's not obvious. It otherwise appears to be in excellent condition. Today I bought what I think is a glass cameo, mainly because it was cheap & I'm curious.

BMRT likes this.
  5. Bronwen

A guy in drag? I see lots of cameos in which the relationship of turned head to shoulder is improbable. Getting it right separates the artists from the whittlers.

BMRT, kyratango and stracci like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bronwen. I'll give it a thread of its own.:)

BMRT, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

P.s She's glass according to Mary Contrary gem tester.

8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Sometimes artists unconsciously paint or sculpt their own likeness.
    So I think we know what the carver looked like!

9. Bronwen

Was just hearing on the BBC sometime overnight that the painter Artemisia Gentileschi used her own face instead of a model.

BMRT, KSW, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

She posed free; you have to pay models.

BMRT, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  11. Bronwen

They have record of her complaining about it late in her career when she also enlisted some help in the studio. Program gave quite a bit of her bio. She must have been a handful. She had to be.

BMRT, Xristina, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  12. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Is this early celluloid or something else (is celluloid easy to chip) ? The seller says the pin is 14k and the pin looks old.. but I'm not sure if I want it or not... :happy:
    Thank you !

Untitled.png
    Untitled2.png

Bronwen, KSW and BMRT like this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

14. Xristina

Thank you, @Hollyblue ! I'm sorry for the poor tortoise..

Bronwen, KSW and BMRT like this.
  15. Bronwen

This was made in 2 pieces, & from the way they are screwed together, & the findings also screwed directly into the material, I am virtually certain it is tortoiseshell. Beautiful, but sad, & completely illegal to sell in the US.

Barn Owl, KSW and kyratango like this.
  16. Xristina

I totally agree.. but if you "forget" to mention the material, you can sell it.. I've seen ivory Netsuke for sale in an antique store in Portland.. not advertised as ivory, but if I remember right, the price was over $100..

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  17. Bronwen

Sellers of antique jewellery here are afraid to even breathe the word 'ivory'. Word has gone round that there is undercover enforcement & the penalty is steep.

Xristina likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That is breaking the law, pure and simple. If you "forget" to mention the material, you can NOT sell it!

And even if someone genuinely makes a mistake it still is breaking the law and the seller can be prosecuted. Ignorance is not an excuse to break the law.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  19. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Some cameos to show! I bought a nice lot of them, so I'll be sharing some over the next couple days. These are my favorites. None of them have hallmarks, and I haven't tested them yet. I think the first one has an unique back. The second one is signed, but I can't make it out.

il_fullxfull.2242402622_s45x.jpg il_794xN.2242402470_pint.jpg
    il_794xN.2290000947_68yx.jpg il_794xN.2242404092_dg0d.jpg

il_794xN.2289999791_krx8.jpg il_794xN.2242403486_d0c7.jpg

Bronwen, BMRT, stracci and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bronwen

Think the signature is yet again our friend 'Silz', Charles Schmoll.

upload_2020-3-29_0-7-32.png

These country scenes are a genre of their own. Often erroneously labeled as Rebecca at the Well, they seem to be free form compositions of the cameist's own devising; I have never seen any 2 exactly alike. They do draw from a vocabulary of standard elements. A gnarled tree seems to be obligatory. Other elements that can be used are: buildings, rustic or ruined; water, a stream (sometimes a little bridge) or pond; animals, goat, dog, geese, ducks, occasionally a horse; people, most often 1 or 2 women, sometimes a man or children. The scene on the first one is the exception that proves the rule; looks like the focus is a man rolling a barrel. Although competent, I have never seen one that met a high standard of workmanship.

I don't know the purpose of the extra piece of metal on the back of the first piece. The frame does not appear in need of bracing.

The Flora is lovely. Frame seems a bit battered. Clasp may have been replaced; hinge places it in 20th century. All 3 are cut in helmet shell.

More, more!

Draft saved Draft deleted