Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Bronwen, I'm blown away that you were able to identify the signature from that one picture alone! I have a couple other shell ones that also have signatures, which I'll be posting tomorrow.

The Flora one is my favorite. It's quite large, too. Unfortunately, the frame has some damage, like you said.

Thank you so much for your response! It's always a delight to learn more about cameos.

KSW, kyratango, BMRT and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have seen this signature so many times I can recognize it even if I can only see half.

The Flora is an excellent find. What else ya got?

Xristina, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. Barn Owl

More shell ones. A few are pinkish-white shells. Then I also have an antique-looking Wedgwood one and an unique amethyst-purple one in an ornate silver frame. I'll post them tomorrow.

Figtree3, Xristina, KSW and 3 others like this.
  4. Barn Owl

Here is the amethyst-purple one. The discolored areas you see on the cameo itself are just glare or a bit of grime; the color is pretty uniform throughout, except that the cameo has more of a matte finish. The bezel was so tarnished when I acquired it, I thought it was bronze or brass. When I polished it up, I realized it was actually silver. I need to test it to determine the silver amount.
    IMG_2617 (2).JPG il_794xN.2243173414_q6uc.jpg il_794xN.2243173260_e178.jpg il_794xN.2290781265_9cbh.jpg

Bronwen, Figtree3, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  5. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

The center figure looks like pate de verre. Certainly a looker!

Bronwen, Xristina and kyratango like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Usually these are mounted in silver plated metal:)
    Nice!

Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  7. Bronwen

She's a lovely thing. Have you found any tiny marks hidden among the tarnish? As BMRT said,
    She is a separate piece from the background layer so take care in cleaning as she may be glued on, in which case she could come unstuck. Do I see little Psyche wings on her head?

https://cameotimes.com/index.php/profiles-1/minor-gods/psyche

Too bad she is currently unwearable but think a jeweller could restore as a brooch or add a bail for wear as a pendant. Since mount is silver, shouldn't cost an arm & a leg. The glass cameo is probably French; would not be surprised if the ornate setting is as well. If it is, purity is likely to be 800, & it will be marked.

Your box is yielding some nice things. :)

kyratango and BMRT like this.
  8. BMRT

I’ve been trying to find the post in this thread on mounting a loose cameo. Someone had found a good frame online. I think it was Amazon. Does anyone recall how far back that was? I’m trying to find the link. :arghh:

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  9. kyratango

Figtree3, Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  10. BMRT

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

I got one of those automated special offers & it can be mine for $6,500. What do you think?

@bluumz, thinking of you constantly, even though socially distant.

bluumz, kyratango and Xristina like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thank you! :doctor:
    I'm definitely being kept busy but I am well, so far. :happy:

13. BMRT

New arrival: BA64C58F-183A-4605-ACEA-611E0EC9484C.jpeg 401B1508-D79E-40FF-AED0-ED1365A0093B.jpeg 2C4F258F-720F-4175-A279-CBB0CDDCB982.jpeg 066F7FAA-6461-450C-9507-E672948B30B0.jpeg 4F1D4CF3-BB8F-48E1-9A37-E79E938EF41F.jpeg 6AD6B161-DDAE-4562-B26E-C2688CD85F27.jpeg The center isn’t vulcanite, it’s heavy and cold and makes a clicking noise against my teeth. Onyx maybe? Frame was tested at 14k. No marks on frame. Pin is missing but C catch is still there. Black outer boarder looks like black enamel that has been flaking off. Signature on the back but I can’t make out if its Ceveni, Cevevi or Cereri.

Figtree3, bluumz, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  14. kyratango

NICE!!!
    Waiting for @Bronwen to be sure, but I think your beautiful new addition is black lava (dyed):cyclops::)

Bronwen, Xristina, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bronwen

Kyratango tells you true: cameo is 'lava', which will have been dyed to get it this dark, even black color. The back says 'Cerere', Italian for Ceres.

KSW, Xristina, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  16. Bronwen

The new men in my life:

Gentleman_37_mine.jpg Gentleman_36_mine.jpg Siotto gentleman 2A.jpg

They came as a lot. The third one is signed by Pio Siotto.

KSW, Xristina, bluumz and 4 others like this.
  17. kyratango

KSW, Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  18. Bronwen

Seller was entertaining offers & I was considering making one, assuming there would be some negotiating & I would perhaps agree to a bit more. Then got one of those automated offers for exactly the amount that was going to be my first offer, so... It was the Siotto I wanted, of course. I have another, one of the first signed pieces I ever bought, in a massive setting with a memento compartment (empty) on the back. You would need a serious bosom to wear it, which I do not have. It was fortunate that seller included a photo with the compartment cover off, otherwise would not have seen the signature, which seller had not spotted.
    PioSiottoGentleman2.jpg

Can't remember if I researched the hallmarks.

PioSiottoHallmark.jpg

Guessing S.B. & Sons. Ideas, anyone?

Xristina, BMRT, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found a Solomon Blanckensee & Son Ltd but theirs is a bit different. Unless they changed it through the years? They also are on a page with English electroplate silver so it really probably isn't it, but thought I'd include it.
    [​IMG]

SOLOMON BLANCKENSEE & SON LTD
    Birmingham
    The firm was founded in Bristol in 1826. In 1863 it moved to Great Charles Street, Birmingham. Blanckensee & Son was the partnership of Solomon and Abraham Solomon Blanckensee

From here: http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverBdue.html#BLANC

Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Okay, I did find some gold items made by that company (Solomon Blanckensee & Son) but the ones I see do not have the mark that is on the cameo mount.

Bronwen and Xristina like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted