Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's random. I didn't even mention the color, this was in a private group, and it got pulled for no reason. They also pulled one of plastic fountain pens...???? I think sometimes the bots get sex on the brain and see phallic symbols everywhere.

kyratango, Fid and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

:happy::):joyful::hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  4. Bronwen

Not rare enough! Disney merch, I see. Ariel turns up all the time. Guess I really don't mind when it isn't pretending to be something it isn't, but how Amedeo not only stays in business on Lexington Ave. but also convinces Neiman Marcus to carry his wares, & why anyone pays NM prices for them, is beyond me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Fid and kyratango like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I said I would dig out some cameos Bronwen and here they are. They are pretty awful quality, especially the plastic ring one in the rolled gold shank. The earrings aren’t much better in probably a silver setting, and the ring has a 9ct shank. Still it’s good to compare I suppose, now I’ve dug them out I might just bury them again. D5C8B42F-4110-4CB6-9006-56D0A279F83C.jpeg

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

I think it is good to look at all sorts of cameos: materials; quality; subjects; ages. You're training your eye to pick out the treasures among the dross. Seeing the contrast improves your discernment.

I swear, the girl on the left, who was originally designed in W. Germany, is the most replicated mass produced cameo of all time. Glass & resin; cameo & intaglio; right facing & left; every color including AB.

The earrings appear to be genuine shell & in good condition. Nothing spectacular, but could find a buyer if you're thinking of selling.

The cameo in the 9ct ring really has no value of its own. Myself, I would probably put it with things to trade with my jeweller when I need custom work. But it might also be salable.

kyratango likes this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yes, the ring will probably be going in an auction with other non cameo rings. Hope someone can use the shank for something better.

8. Bronwen

@Hotdamm It just hit me what it might be. Does it say Extasia? Contemporary maker of good quality cameos in man made materials.

9. evelyb30

10. Bronwen

Picture is blocked & link takes me to a blank page with no error message. I always want to see drool-worthy cameos, so hope you can find a way to show us. Possible the photo you copied has a hyperlink attached to it. Think you can't post those.

kyratango likes this.
  11. evelyb30

12. Bronwen

Oh, she is gorgeous! I love cameos & am usually indifferent to mounts, but someone really took care to set this lady appropriately:

[​IMG]

I thought it might be Clytie; looking more closely, think I see indication of Psyche's butterfly wing:

upload_2018-7-12_16-3-34.png

Houseful, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  13. Bronwen

I don't understand it, but have also encountered this problem, sending someone a link to a Pinterest post that always works for me, not for anyone else. I have several Pinterest boards myself, so issue is not that I'm not signed in.

kyratango likes this.
  14. evelyb30

They let you post links just fine to Twitter or Facebook, but I guess if it's not a partner site, fuggedaboutit.

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I LOVE THIS LADY!!! Moonstone and sapphires work so well:woot:
    I have this ring:
    [​IMG]

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Just received this carved moonstone Pulcinella bust stick pin : Resized_Screenshot_20180630-161130.jpeg Resized_Screenshot_20180630-161136.jpeg

17. evelyb30

Now that's a cameo! Are the clear ones quartz or paste? The French and sometimes Italians often used pastes even on a piece of fancy jewelry.

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Same thing here.....I do a "screen shot" and edit in a photo editor!!!! But I have to get to see it first!!!!

19. Bronwen

I have a few tricks, depending on what the nature of the image allows me to do & why I want it. If the pic is one I want for my reference files & is not protected, I just right click, select 'Save as' & go from there. If I want to edit it before using it here, I right click, select 'Copy Image', then paste it into my editing program. If a photo cannot be picked up in this way, I either use a screen shot or go to the page info & find it there.

kyratango likes this.
  20. Bronwen

Oh, la la! Another gorgeous piece, in need of only light kyratisation. If the black wedge is indeed a hat, wouldn't it be for Arlecchino rather than Pulcinella? I see the resemblance, but am not convinced that was the designer's intention. The figure reminds me very much of the depictions of some of the Roman empresses, such as Livia:

[​IMG]

Aquitaine, kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted