Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That is lovely!. The face at the bottom is a nice touch and what a great clear signature.

Xristina, Bronwen, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The profile face at the bottom reminds me of depictions of the man in the Moon, or a jester.

Bakersgma, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I figured it for a Moon face since it's about that shape, and one of the ladies picture has to be Athena. Maybe Luna/Selene is the other one???

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's a fanciful, modern composition that doesn't adhere strictly to neoclassical conventions. The one lady is obviously Athena. I would propose Aphrodite for her companion: Love & War.

Athena often wears a 'satyr-faced helmet', that has a visor in the form of a face. Here I think she is meant to have more of a satyr-faced shield, but cutter got carried away, carving a much more detailed visage that really does look like the man in the moon. This is very in keeping with the more fantastical cameos that have come to be produced.

I know Jan Campbell (CameoHeaven) asserts that his pupils signed Noto's name. I can't confirm this, but she knows more about modern cameo production than I do. After looking at a handful of Noto signatures to be found on the Internet, I see they're definitely variable. I like this one for the real thing. It looks to me like it was really signed, not just labeled, if you know what I mean. There are the way the G, N & the T are made. The strong period/full stop after the G, the firm even pressure all through. This was applied with great confidence.

Think I recall reading that Noto signatures that are underlined are not his.

KSW, quirkygirl, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  5. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Thank you so much @Marie Forjan for the proper "tag" of Bronwen. I thought I had included the @ ... but obviously, didn't. :rolleyes:

KSW likes this.
  6. quirkygirl

Thanks for mentioning the man in the moon, as I was thinking the same when I first saw it ... but couldn't figure out why it would be there?

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  7. quirkygirl

Thank you @Bronwen for explaining that it really might not depict any "known" pairing (or threesome). :happy: I appreciate that you gave your opinion on this piece.

Honestly, I wasn't even sure whether the two figures were both female or one male and one female ... pretty sure that face below belonged to a man, though. That big face looks like it is sticking his tongue out or maybe just popped a cookie into his mouth! :D

Bronwen, Figtree3, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  8. Willow Myst

Willow Myst Member

I came across an interesting clasp on a cameo while shopping. I wanted to take a picture of it but the seller said "NO". Anyway, the best I can describe it is it looks like the traditional "C" clasp, but has a lever in the back that works a second lever (it reminds me of a lobster clasp in the way it works.) The top of the clasp is marked 14K. The cameo looks like it is from the 1020-1930 range and I would have loved to have posted a picture. Any ideas of what kind of clasp this could be?

Bronwen, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pre-WWI safety clasp of some sort.

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Bronwen

I think I know the type of clasp you mean. You snap a tiny lever down to get another tiny lever to come up & secure the pin. I have never seen a specific name for these, other than early safety clasp. The most similar looking one in the article Marie shared with us is illustration 13, which is dated ca. 1900. I think that one is more likely to be the simple (unreliable) version where pushing down the lever brings down the piece that holds the pin. A good way to capture the age is 'Edwardian'.

kyratango, Xristina and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Deanna M Blanchard

Deanna M Blanchard New Member

This was found in some type of old plastic drawer organizer in an old plastic bag with a blank piece of thick paper. The bag was folded and stapled. I am just wondering, is it a real Cameo, also, how old does anyone think it is? Could it be worth anything? Of so, how much?

Attached Files:

komokwa, kyratango and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hi Deanna, please can you take a few more photos as that one is a little out of focus. When you add then click ‘full image’ so we can see them full size :)

bluumz and kyratango like this.
  14. Bronwen

@Deanna M Blanchard What KSW said + is the back flat or curved inward/concave?

The color is very accurate for shell but I can't tell from your photo if this is carved shell or molded resin. My initial impression is resin. A clear photo taken from the edge showing the line where the figure meets the ground would be helpful.

kyratango, KSW and komokwa like this.
  15. Caro Tinley

Caro Tinley Member

Thank you everyone for excellent info on cameos.

kyratango, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Fabulous isn’t it.
    Bronwen has spoilt me for any cameos as now I’ve seen what the real deal looks like. I’m not won over by the average pretty lady ones any more!.
    Sadly discerning is also more :greedy: so I admire from afar for the moment :)

bluumz, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  17. Bronwen

But I'm saving you money on the mediocre cameos you might have bought in the olden days.

I have a new one coming I think I bought in part because I really want to see what it looks like clean. First acquisition in quite a while. Of course will share here when she arrives.

kyratango likes this.
  18. Bronwen

upload_2021-4-26_17-3-29.png

upload_2021-4-26_17-3-49.png

Some spots of damage, but I wouldn't say no.

19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ditto. I’m hardly buying at all now because my taste exceeds my budget! :rolleyes:

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

Many asking prices are now insane. I'm seeing good, not great, shell cameos with asking prices higher than what I paid for this hardstone cameo signed by Luigi Rosi. The bail is detachable. The marks are French.

3rd Hour Day hardstone L Rosi 86.JPG

It passeth understanding. Some of it is the price of gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted