Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A Fairy Tale

Once upon a time, there was a delightful little cameo depicting the bonds and torments of Love using the imagery of Cupid and Psyche.

Cupid Bound.jpg
    The cameo was of a type sometimes erroneously described as 'oyster shell' that is really a cameo cut in the white layer of a thicker shell, ground down to be as thin as a fingernail, and given a black backing, creating the illusion of being cut in banded agate. It was probably born in the Georgian era.

When the little cameo was seeking a new home, the kindly auctioneer who was helping showed the world this picture and said about it, simply: An oval cameo of a winged infant. Approx. 9.4 grams. Est. £60 - £80. Because the little cameo seemed very plain compared to other items trying to find a new home, and did have a little bit of damage, the auctioneer, although hoping a new owner would love the little cameo enough to pay more, at first was asking for only £2.

When the time came, the kindly auctioneer was perplexed but very happy, and the little cameo laughed all the way to its new home:

Cupid Bound results.jpg

(Plus 18% buyer's premium.)

The End.

Aquitaine, Jivvy, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

If that one was Cinderella, guess this one must be a step-sister:

upload_2018-8-9_11-34-14.png

kyratango likes this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:woot::woot::woot: At first, I thought YOU got it for 2£...:bucktooth:;)

4. Bronwen

Now that would have been a rags to riches story!

kyratango likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have bought it for two quid! I'm betting the seller was doing the happy dance.

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

The winning bidder, who will be out of pocket a minimum of £8,260, or about $11,000 US, must have been doing the happy something, not too sure it would be dance. Juice, maybe.

kyratango likes this.
  7. evelyb30

Pills possibly. It went a tad high, unless somebody was buying Grandma's brooch back and didn't care what they had to pay.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

I'm enjoying imagining it was someone who got a whole lot of money in a nasty divorce settlement.

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  9. evelyb30

Or was joyfully spending an inheritance from an unpleasant relative.

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  10. kyratango

@Bronwen
    Could she be one of your ancestors?;):joyful:
    [​IMG]

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

Not wearing that cameo! :joyful:

I keep an image file of cameos being worn & will add her. Here's another sitter with a similar piece:

Painting by Frederick Elwell, sitter c. 1917.jpg
    And a woman wearing one of those ubiquitous W. German ones:

W German cameo 40s photo.JPG
    (Be grateful I didn't make her my avatar!)

Whenever I'm watching a television drama set in the Victorian era, including Victoria, & spot a character wearing a cameo I always try to get a good look at it. Almost always an anachronistic one, either artificial, like one above, or shell, but not very good & from the 50s.

If you wore one of the large ones, it surely forced you to keep your chin up:

Large cameo at neck haircomb adj.jpg

It amuses me that staid (presumably) respectable women, like the lady above, so often wore cameos depicting Dionysus/Bacchus, who presided over drunken, orgiastic rites, or, like the lady above her, ones with a participant, a maenad/bacchante. 'Bacchante maiden' is one of my favorite oxymorons. :kiss::kiss:

bluumz, Figtree3, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That first one, the painting, is LOVELY!!!

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. evelyb30

The Bacchus/Dionysius cameos may have been "advertising", a subtle way of telling the hubs that it's ON for tonight.(LOL)

14. Bronwen

The ones I find strangest are those that have some Dionysian image on the front & the photo of a child or a hair memento in a compartment on the back.

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The first one looks like Mariette Hartley, the second more like Wednesday Addams.

The last is sort-of Dolores Umbridge.

16. kyratango

Haha, I was thinking Adams family too:hilarious:

Aquitaine, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  17. kyratango

I knew you'd be amused ;)
    Your ladies wearing cameos portraits are neat! (Glad indeed you didn't choose the terrifying painted eyebrows one for your avatar:wideyed::vamp::p)
    Wearing Dionysiac themed pieces was perhaps a code for serious looking women that they weren't actually not so serious...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:;)

Bronwen and judy like this.
  18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

OMG, I would totally use scary eyebrow lady as my avatar. I love her. :hilarious:

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I bought this carte de visite photo about a year ago and for a while was trying to figure out whether she was wearing a cameo, or a photographic brooch. What do you think? I also will include a cropped version just showing the brooch but I'm not the best at photo editing. The last one just shows that it was taken at the famous Sarony studio. I don't think the woman was famous, and she is also unidentified.

Cameo Sarony CDV original (599x1024).jpg Cameo Sarony CDV.jpg Cameo Sarony CDV2 (800x468).jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Another, cropped differently...
    Cameo Sarony CDV original.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted