Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a nice surprise on the frame. You found a pretty piece.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks much better now. It's great that you rescued her!

Bronwen and PepperAnna like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! Just went over her with my cheap, folding loupe for the 6th time - and found a tiny mark on the pin stem! I will have to wait until I unearth my best loupe to see what it says but I bet it will confirm my 14k test :)

Bronwen, Xristina, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. PepperAnna

Does anyone know if Bronwen is ok? She hasn't posted in a while and I am worried.

Bronwen and hamptonauction like this.
  5. Figtree3

You probably saw that Simona posted an update in a separate thread that she is recovering and may be back soon.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Trying to catch up a little here. She's terribly shiny to be plaster. From the front & edge views she reminds me of this glass Mary Magdalen:

pate sur pate Magdalen.jpg

But the view of the back, with the pin mechanism affixed directly on to the material, looks like jet. The pix are too dark to tell what's really going on. She makes me really curious too. Wish I could examine her directly.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Xristina and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Bronwen

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Bronwen

[​IMG]

@PepperAnna Don't think I have your 2 ladies on my Pinterest board? Would love to add them. Top looks like Siotto & lower looks a lot like one I have by Rudolf Otto. Signatures? Probably you know, but for everyone else, the exotic lady on the right is Guercino's Circe:

Circe Guercino etching print.jpg

10. Figtree3

Xristina, Bronwen and PepperAnna like this.
  11. PepperAnna

No, I didn't know that. I recognized that I had seen the subject somewhere before, but I didn't know where or what the subject was. So thank you for providing the answer!

Bronwen likes this.
  12. PepperAnna

Thank you, Figtree. The painting is lovely.

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  13. PepperAnna

@ Bronwen The full face cameo is unsigned but has an inscription and date. It is well executed. 20220526_115650.jpg 20220526_115714.jpg 20220526_115815.jpg

The other is by Louis Zoellner. It is signed on the shoulder. The sitter is Catherine Gallup Reed (1821-1914), a prominent New Yorker who was very interested in education and founded a school for girls, which eventually became Reed College. She was quite learned, having been accepted into multiple scientific societies. In case you want to learn more about her, here is a link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Gallup_Reed

Zoellner executed a medal for the 25th anniversary of her school that included her profile. The medal is now housed at the Met Museum. Her profile is distinctive and she seemed to have a penchant for lace.

20220526_114801.jpg
    20220526_115035.jpg Screenshot_20220526-114544_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Louis Zoellner was one of the best American cameo engravers of his time. His obituary in the NYT says it all.

https://www.nytimes.com/1934/11/19/...meo-artist-dies-last-of-his-line-he-long.html

Xristina, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Bronwen

Guercino & Domenichino both did a number of sibyls, & I keep images of Circe in the same file with them in my 'archive'. In a quick look on line, do not see that he ever painted this one more than once, but think it was printed by more than one engraver, & perhaps the copies vary in how faithful they are to the painting.

When other methods fail, screenshot:

upload_2022-5-27_23-50-6.png

And this is G's Christ & the Samaritan Woman:

GuercinoxxChrist_and_the_Samaritan_Woman_at_the_Well.jpg

Figtree3 and PepperAnna like this.
  15. PepperAnna

Very cool! the woman is the same composition with just a few changes. I miss going to museums to see beautiful art in person!!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Another file I keep is of cameos with dates. The white border is something Siotto seems to have done routinely, but he wouldn't have been the only one.

Do you suppose this was give to Maria by a nun?

17. PepperAnna

I need to start keeping files, too. There is so much information floating about. Just need to get my hands on it.

Xristina and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Found I had a photo of Caroline from when she was on eBay & still needed a bath, but did not have the ID of the sitter or a pic of the signature, so my Zoellner file is improved.

I had not seen the obit. Have a friend who subscribes to the NYT, so maybe can get it in full. Did you see this?

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/57999664/

She really does remind me of the piece I have by Rudolph Otto:

Cameo_Photo_Synop.jpg

Think she may be the lady in the photo. Will not put the name here for privacy of living family. If she is who I think she is, she stayed in Berlin when other members of the family fled rising Nazism & committed suicide when she believed she was soon to be arrested.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. PepperAnna

That's the way I read the inscription.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. PepperAnna

Here is Louis Zoellner's obit:
    upload_2022-5-28_19-10-32.png
    upload_2022-5-28_19-11-10.png
    upload_2022-5-28_19-11-44.png
    upload_2022-5-28_19-12-41.png