Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1656990330271.jpg Hi all, I saw this on a Facebook thread. This cameo seems to have four or five faces. Is there a name for this?
    FB_IMG_1656987414680.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656989849933.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Figtree3, PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Gryllus/gryllos. But I think this was probably inspired by images of Queen Omphale wearing the lion skin of Hercules/Heracles & that any other faces are illusions created by the ripples in the mane.

Omphale conch stickpin.JPG

Figtree3 and PepperAnna like this.
  3. Bronwen

There is also a touch of Athena wearing a silenus-faced helmet.

Figtree3 and PepperAnna like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Not mine, unfortunately, and only one photo. Out of my price range at nearly $10K but gorgeous! Who is she?

CD677789-B242-4ACB-B5C4-201AEABDD7EB.jpeg

5. Bronwen

Gorgeous! Gotta run just now. Will opine later.

PepperAnna and bluumz like this.
  6. Bronwen

She's just exquisite. I don't think I've seen the like executed in shell before. Given the flower in front of her, I think she has to be seen as allegorical for Sleep/Hypnos or Night/Nyx. At first the fringe the cutter put on her garments made me see her as wearing an animal skin & I thought she looked like a maenad, weary from the revels, but further examination led elsewhere. Here she is with a bit more contrast:

upload_2022-7-6_1-2-15.png

Always so hard to believe a piece like this is not signed (is it?) My feeling is that it has to be French. The way the artist has chosen not to have the carving go all the way to the edge on the right is very interesting & more like something you see on pieces from the Noto era, although I think this is much earlier. I love her ear.

These cannetille settings are usually high quality gold. Anyone know where & when they were typically made?

Would you mind sharing where you found her?

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Only one photo and the listing title used as a one-line description, "Antique Large Shell Filigree Gold Cameo Lady Brooch".
    Odd that someone would list something at that price with no other photos or info.
    Antique Large Shell Filigree Gold Cameo Lady Brooch | eBay

Thank you so much for your comments, Bronwen!

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And the photo shows the cameo on its end so the carving is sideways. Hmmm

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Seller has a number of cameos, but seems to know absolutely nothing about them. I suspect not even that not all of them go with the long axis of the oval vertically placed. There is little or no description with things beyond the title, for nearly 2,000 listings. Have only just begun to look through them, but this has already caught my eye:

Early Angel Cameo Antique Gold Ring

Georgian 'collector's' setting with a cameo of Medusa that may well be Imperial Roman. No karatage of the gold; no size for the ring. Is there an emoji for shakes head in bafflement? Not surprised this seller is in NYC.

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  10. Bronwen

Takes offers. :D

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:hilarious:

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

This seller is dreaming with their prices!!!!!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

I didn't check their recent sales history, but I bet most of the time they take undisclosed offers.

14. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I contacted the seller and asked for a picture of the cameo back, as I was wondering if it was signed. The seller said nothing was written on the back and didn't send a picture.

bluumz likes this.
  15. PepperAnna

I came across this cameo on Ebay. Doesn't the lion look like Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion? And there is a T. rex-- his baby arms didn't make it into the cameo.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 102345.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-11 102456.jpg

16. Bronwen

LOL. Who is this meant to be? I associate a winged lion with St. Mark, & a lion companion in the wilderness with St. Jerome, but the youthfulness of the figure is more consistent with St. John the Evangelist. :confused:

PepperAnna and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

You may have an answer to this question Bronwen. Why do people who turn out laughably poor cameos, like the one with the Bert Lahr lion above, continue to make them?

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Because they still sell? This one really doesn't begin to touch laughably poor.

green hair.JPG Hermes in a dress.JPG Indescribable.JPG Night mishap.jpg Unformulaic.jpg Urania askew adj.jpg

bluumz, kyratango, PepperAnna and 2 others like this.
  20. PepperAnna

Urania needs a wonder bra.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted