Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

When I bought it I thought for be sure I would find that it was a marriage. Especially the glass bit felt added (it fits well, but it doesn't have the matching color, age or construction to match). But the sizing is so difficult to get right, the paper collar didn't have a number, and I doubted my assessment. The box not closing completely is my biggest issue, and the plaster itself is too tall.

I bought it for almost nothing from someone that picks at estate sales so I'm sure I'll never know, but with your additional assessment I'm going to call it a marriage unless I manage to see another.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't place any significance on the lack of a number on the collar; not all casts were part of an indexed set. It's the sizing, the fact that it isn't right, that is the big indicator. Why case an impression if the lid won't close? I think original contents would have fit snugly, no gaps around the edge. Still a cool item to show off.

IvaPan and mirana like this.
  3. Bronwen

4. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Hi all, I haven't been posting for a while as I had an accident, crushing and breaking my pinky finger. I haven't really felt like typing and have been recuperating for the last few weeks. But I am feeling better with physical therapy and I am looking forward to posting again. I was going to continue posting historical cameos and a couple recent purchases.

Bronwen-- I also have a plethora of gentlemen cameo pics and a few lady cameo pics. Are you still collecting these for your Pinterest boards? If so, I will post those also.

I am looking forward to catching up on all the posts I missed!

5. Bronwen

Good to have you back with us, sorry to hear about your injury. And crushing, one of the worst things. When I smashed up my face, some of the fractures, were 'comminuted', had a chip or two with the break, but not, thank heaven, crushed. Can totally understand not wanting to go near a keyboard.

Go ahead & post any gents or ladies (with links when possible, please) & I will collect them into a folder for gradual processing to Pinterest. The gents are starting to all look alike, while a new lady is actually exciting.

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and IvaPan like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

So sorry, how awful! Glad you're feeling better!

Fifteen years ago, I had to look up that word 'comminuted'. I had fallen on the ice and had broken three bones in my foot. The copy of the x-ray report stated all three were 'comminuted' fractures. It was six months before I could return to work!
    Now I'm dealing with arthritis in that foot, making my 12hr shifts at the hospital very difficult. I spoke to my boss about it and he said if I got a doctor's note restricting me to 8hr shifts that he could accommodate me ("reasonable accommodation"). My podiatrist was happy to write such a note. A week later, I had to have the doctor rescind the note... because my boss's way of "accommodating" my need for 8hr shifts instead of 12hr shifts was by placing me in one of the outpatient clinics the hospital runs... at a salary reduction of $10K/year. I couldn't afford that. Nothing in the US Reasonable Accommodation/Americans with Disabilities Act states the employer has to provide a similar-paying position. :rolleyes:
    So now I get regular cortisone injections in my foot so I can push through my 12hr shifts. Four-and-a-half years until retirement...!

[​IMG]

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very sorry to hear about your injuries! But I'm also glad you are recuperating and feeling well enough to post here.

PepperAnna, IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

That can't be good for your overall health. How in the world did you get through peak covid staffing needs?

PepperAnna and IvaPan like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ack. That's another form of discrimination. Sounds like the nursing union would NOT be pleased if they found out.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It was a horrible time in many different ways. Thankfully, things have calmed down a lot.

That may be the case but I'm not a nurse, I'm a Respiratory Therapist. I work with the physicians and nurses in the care of people with breathing problems. I manage the ventilator patients in the ICU and basically anything else to do with breathing. And since COVID is a respiratory illness, RTs were with the patients even more than the doctors and nurses.

I'm not employed at this hospital but it's a nice introductory video:

Sorry to take this thread so far off track!

11. evelyb30

IOW if you guys are unionized and the union gets upset it could be big trouble for Moose and Squirrel. Also bad news if the hospital overworks you to the point where you get sick yourselves.

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

We are unionized. The union said that they couldn't help me, that management wasn't breaking any rules.

13. evelyb30

Not the legal ones anyway. Ethical ones are another matter.

14. PepperAnna

Historical (Real) Person Cameo
    Vandeleur Benjamin Crake (1816-1894)

Vandeleur Benjamin Crake (1816-1894) was the foremost member of the Crake family, who made major contributions to the architectural and cultural heritage of St Leonards and its environs in the later decades of the 19th century. Vandeleur Crake was a lawyer, Justice of the Peace and was associated with a wide variety of organizations in the town.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/146457307_a-19th-century-gold-agate-cameo-brooch

upload_2023-3-20_20-50-10.png
    upload_2023-3-20_20-50-50.png

15. PepperAnna

Oliver Cromwell (25 April 1599 – 3 September 1658)

English statesman, politician, and soldier. A controversial figure in history, due to his use of his use of force to obtain and secure power as well as the brutal Irish campaign of 1649.

Catalog Description: A CARVED PURPLE AMETHYST CAMEO OF OLIVER CROMWELL, signed and dated J. Beale, 1780 to the obverse, inscribed ‘Oliver Cromwell A.D. 1650’ to the reverse, mounted in silver and gold interlocking frame set with old single and cushion-cut diamonds and tsavorite garnets. 7cm x 5.5cm

https://www.adams.ie/searchresult?a...stimate=50&page_no=1&sort_by=&view=lot_detail

upload_2023-3-20_22-18-34.png

upload_2023-3-20_22-19-27.png

Screenshot 2023-03-20 222654.jpg

mirana, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  16. PepperAnna

King George III (June 4 1738-January 29 1820)

From Wikipedia: King of England from 1760-1820. George's life and reign were marked by a series of military conflicts involving his kingdoms, much of the rest of Europe, and places farther afield in Africa, the Americas and Asia. Early in his reign, Great Britain defeated France in the Seven Years' War, becoming the dominant European power in North America and India. However, many of Britain's American colonies were soon lost in the American War of Independence. Further wars against revolutionary and Napoleonic France from 1793 concluded in the defeat of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. In 1807, the transatlantic slave trade was banned from the British Empire.

Catalog Description: AN 1820S PASTE AND AGATE CAMEO PENDANT OF GEORGE III
    The white paste cameo of George III upon an oval polished banded agate panel, within a beaded gold cannetille border, with polished loop bale, to a rope twist chain necklace, with ring bolt clasp
    Size/dimensions: 4.9cm long, chain 39cm long
    Gross weight: 18 grams

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/...0354/lot-8d5e8fe2-fe06-4eb9-991a-afb000e794c4

upload_2023-3-20_22-34-14.png
    upload_2023-3-20_22-35-17.png
    upload_2023-3-20_22-37-39.png

17. Bronwen

Even the Hon. V.B. Crake has become grimy with the years.

I can't help thinking of Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake.

Bakersgma and PepperAnna like this.
  18. PepperAnna

King George III (June 4 1738-January 29 1820) and Queen Charlotte (19 May 1744 – 17 November 1818)

Wikipedia: Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz was Queen of Great Britain and of Ireland as the wife of King George III from their marriage on 8 September 1761 until her death in 1818. The marriage lasted 57 years and produced 15 children, 13 of whom survived to adulthood. Charlotte was a patron of the arts and an amateur botanist who helped expand Kew Gardens. She introduced the Christmas tree to Britain, after decorating one for a Christmas party for children from Windsor in 1800. She was distressed by her husband's bouts of physical and mental illness, which became permanent in later life

Catalog Description: GEORGE III AND QUEEN CHARLOTTE, A PASTE AND BLOODSTONE COMMEMORATIVE PENDANT
    CIRCA 1770
    With polished bloodstone ground with applied white paste cameos of King George III to one side and his wife and consort Queen Charlotte to the other, within a rope twist wire and polished surround, polished circular bale, on a later associated serpent link chain, the lobster claw clasp stamped 750
    Size/dimensions: 4.8cm long
    Gross weight: 16.6 grams

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/...0354/lot-7076594a-e0d0-4ee2-a3cf-afb000e7976c

A near identical bloodstone and paste cameo pendant is in the collection of the V & A museum.

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O89222/king-george-iii-and-queen-cameo-unknown/

upload_2023-3-20_22-47-46.png
    upload_2023-3-20_22-48-12.png

19. Bronwen

It's possible the white glass paste busts of George III & Charlotte are by Tassie. He had a proprietary formula for an especially hard white paste that he called "enamel."

mirana, Figtree3 and PepperAnna like this.
  20. PepperAnna

Napoleon I (15 August 1769 – 5 May 1821) and Empress Marie Louise (12 December 1791 – 17 December 1847)

Wikipedia: Desperate for a legitimate heir, Napoleon divorced Joséphine on 10 January 1810 and started looking for a new wife. Hoping to cement the recent alliance with Austria through a family connection, Napoleon married the 18-year-old Archduchess Marie Louise, daughter of Emperor Francis II, by proxy on 11 March 1810. On 20 March 1811, Marie Louise gave birth to a baby boy, whom Napoleon made heir apparent and bestowed the title of King of Rome. His son never actually ruled the empire, but given his brief titular rule and cousin Louis-Napoléon's subsequent naming himself Napoléon III, historians often refer to him as Napoleon II.

Catalog Description: For auction at Hindman Auctions March 21, the auction description does not identify the subjects. This is a modern, not antique cameo.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/ite...n-cameo-pendant-brooch-with-a-double-portrait

upload_2023-3-20_23-8-0.png
    upload_2023-3-20_23-8-29.png

upload_2023-3-20_23-10-1.png

Draft saved Draft deleted