Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@mirana @PepperAnna @bluumz

I need all the guns on this one. What a marvelous piece! I do not know what the source of the image is, if it is indeed not the cutter's imagination, so I cannot name the young couple, but it is clear what's going on: Athena, goddess of wisdom & general good sense & self control, is trying to protect a youth from the onslaughts of the lust of the flesh & the temptation of a beautiful young woman. It's not a scene I recognize either from mythology or from other engraved gems. It feels rather like a scenario known as Hercules at the Crossroads.

Hercules between Beauty Virtue.jpg

Despite the T hinge, C clasp & overlong pin stem, this is not a Victorian piece. It belongs to a period when shell cameo cutting, after falling in quality, had a resurgence in the 1920s. Has the back been checked for a signature? There's glare in the photo. I could see this being by Giovanni Noto.

kyratango, PepperAnna, Vector and 4 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

For those who don't like links:

upload_2024-5-18_13-40-58.png

3. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Its gorgeous! Is the setting then older than the cameo itself? That pin looks awfully light wieght for what seems to be a heavy piece.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what a stunner !!!!!!

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

your friend got...........

a she or a he...
    where was it got...
    how was it got....

mirana and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

No, the cameo & the mount are contemporaneous. What you're noticing is one of the clues to its age & origin. Large, beautiful shell cameos in very spare gold settings with older looking findings are characteristic of that period. You wonder how they thought such flimsy accommodations could hold these big pieces.

kyratango, RachelW, Vector and 3 others like this.
  7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

@Vector

Looks like it is Athena/Minerva (in her role as Mentor in The Odyssey) protecting Telemachus from Venus and Cupid(s).

There's this fresco from the King of Naples' (Joachim Murat) palace:
    tumblr_n2xmpgfCnE1rqqedro1_1280.jpg

Note our man in the Cameo is a boy (same as Telemachus), and has a cord and (probably) cloak.

There's this one from the British Museum by Abraham Raimbach ("Minerva in the Clouds Above Telemachus"):

raimbach-minerva-clouds-telemachus.jpg

It's a lovely cameo! Lots of detail and good work on the features. I wonder who would want to wear this theme. A mother hoping to protect a young son from love before he has gained wisdom?

8. Bronwen

Great work! That is no doubt the inspiration. The cameo has so many details, have to wonder if there's not another painting out there that is even closer.

9. Vector

Vector Member

Always a big thanks to Browen!

10. Vector

Vector Member

We first spotted this lovely piece last winter while poking around an antique shop in London. My friend fell in love with it right away, but the price tag and a tiny chip on Athena's nose made her hesitate. Turns out she couldn't get it out of her head though, and finally caved and bought it recently! ;)

PepperAnna, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  11. Vector

Vector Member

@mirana
    Thank you for the information! It is indeed probably for the purpose you mentioned.

12. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Oh interesting! Good to know if I find any cameos on eBay or something. Thank you!

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  13. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

It seems there may be writing on the reverse of the cameo starting at the bottom of the cameo and going up towards the pin. The cameo itself is lovely. What an unusual subject!

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Scratches, I think.

upload_2024-5-28_12-28-44.png

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Found a thing I thought I would never add to my collection. Of course the previous owner took 2 very far away and blurry photos. He's 2.25" high and so nicely detailed.

Ivory Putti 1 A sm w.jpg

High relief carving. Mounting is silver with a gilt brass rope. I'm guessing he's a Putti, probably carved in France?

Ivory Putti 1 C sm w.jpg

The conclusive ivory lines...

Ivory Putti 1 F sm w.jpg

I thought I'd include these close-ups for learning. You can actually see the crossed lines on the front of him too, on his chest.

Ivory Putti 1 E sm w.jpg

I'm so happy to have gotten one of these antiques! Circa 1860-80-ish? They're beautifully carved and I've been jealous of the fine pieces you all have. I just figured it was going to take a long time for me to find one, let alone one I could afford...

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

G_d bless bad picture sales!

17. Bronwen

Singular is putto. But the strap across his chest is for a quiver, so Cupid, or a cupid.

Like as not, although at least one of my portrait pieces was carved by a Brit.

PepperAnna, kyratango and mirana like this.
  18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

P1960306.JPG P1960308.JPG P1960309.JPG P1960310.JPG Signed elj or something similar. Scrap the low carat frame and toss the shell?

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

PepperAnna and kyratango like this.
  20. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

PepperAnna, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted