Can anyone help ID this pottery mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by longlifemilk, Sep 24, 2023.

1. longlifemilk

longlifemilk New Member

I’m unsure whether it’s Chinese or Japanese for a start! I can’t find anything similar in searches. Could anyone offer any advice. It’s on the base of a large vase. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

You'll get a lot more help with pics of the entire vase, from many angles. When you have uploaded them, click on the Full Image button. Welcome, an' Good Luck!

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pictures of the whole piece, including the underside, are important for us to assist you.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. longlifemilk

longlifemilk New Member

Thanks so much for the reply. Pics requested are attached

Attached Files:

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

6. longlifemilk

longlifemilk New Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG][​IMG]yes , get it an auction house....

I run from that forced crackle......and would luv to know what they say !

8. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

From the photos looks real could be guangxu period possible is neat with flowers near the ears,

9. longlifemilk

longlifemilk New Member

It is currently in the process of being valued by an auction house. I’ll post the updates here for anyone who is interested. Thank you all for being so helpful!

kentworld and verybrad like this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yes, please do. I'd be interested to know. How tall is it?

11. longlifemilk

longlifemilk New Member

Hi there. For anyone who is interested… It’s a late 19th century vase but it’s “made in honour” of Qing. Nowadays, we would call them fakes but back then they were perfectly reputable, a sign of great respect and made to a very high standard.
    Value £300-£500 at auction.
    (It is broken and glued at the top of the neck)

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Thanks for coming back and updating! It is a nice one and the valuation reflects that. We don't consider that way of marking Chinese wares as fakes, but call them "honorific" marks. A nod of respect to past masters. But as we know, quality is highly variable when it comes to Chinese ceramics. ;)

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted