Can anyone help identify these marks please?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nucks Pots, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Nucks Pots

Nucks Pots New Member

They are on the back of an old plate. I cannot put the pattern up because the file is too big. Any help is appreciated!
    P1040904.JPG P1040905.JPG

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Welcome,

You need to reduce the size of the picture to under 1mb and then post it here.
    Your other two pics are fine.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The number is a pattern reference, the dots are the decorators mark for piece work payment.

4. Nucks Pots

Nucks Pots New Member

Here's the plate if that helps! P1040906.JPG

5. Nucks Pots

Nucks Pots New Member

And the star shape?

6. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

According to infofaience Sarreguemines used an asterisk like this between 1890-1910. Sarreguemines - Faïence, pottery, earthenware marks and dates - InfoFaience but I'm not sure that is what it is - I've not seen this pattern or colourway produced by them before. It looks English to me. The star / asterisk might be a cypher for a date perhaps? Minton used the asterisk as a date cypher for 1842, for example? This pattern is a Poonah style, you could search for it that way too.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not faience. Transferware with hand painted embellishments. The colorway is often referred to as Imari, but that does not make it Japanese.

8. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Sorry to be dense, but is it porcelain if not faience? I thought it was earthenware by the crazing. EDIT: unless you mean faience in the more specific English sense, rather than how the French use it for pretty much all earthenware?

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s earthenware. Not French.

10. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

OK cool. As I said in my comment, I didn't think it was French, but I've seen that asterisk in relation to Sarreguemines wares so thought I should mention it. Think the cypher mark route is more likely.

11. Nucks Pots

Nucks Pots New Member

You guys Are awesome! Thank you so much!

12. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    Nucks Pots and KylieS like this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

How big is it? There are a few on worthpoint described as being part of a child's set. Search Minton 6772.

KylieS likes this.
  14. Nucks Pots

Nucks Pots New Member

33cm by 25 cm

15. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Looks like a piece of English ironstone. I don’t think it’s Minton.

Draft saved Draft deleted