Featured Can anyone help identify this satyr ram head planter/bowl with ax backstamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kellaurm, Mar 31, 2018.

1. kellaurm

kellaurm Well-Known Member

Hi can anyone help me identify this cobalt and gold planter on a stand with an ax backstamp and the number 175. There are three figural satyr heads and a chantilly emblem on one side. Is this French? Both the stand and top piece are marked the same.

11ram.jpg 112ram.jpg 113ram.jpg 114ram.jpg
    115ram.jpg 116ram.jpg

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I would certainly think French with the Chantilly stamp but wait for the experts on that. I think it is stunning!

Aquitaine, aaroncab and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, stunning.
    It is the Limoges style, but I don't know of a Limoges marks with an axe. Limoges is in France. The potties will know more.

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Perhaps the axe is the signature of the person who did the gold on the jardiniere.
    It is very beautiful.
    greg

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I've got my doubts about this one. I think it may have been made to look old. There's a few things that bother me. The supposed coat of arms for Chantilly doesn't look right. I have the feeling it was placed there to imply the piece was produced in France. I've looked at what coats of arms I can find for Chantilly and can't find anything with a horn. Actually I searched for a hunting horn in any coat of arms in France but couldn't turn any up anywhere.

The satyr handles also bother me. They look more like figures of Satan than satyrs. Satyrs are usually depicted as playful beings. Either way these handles are not common in the French porcelain I've come across. I was able to come across a pair of vases with very similar handles on Pinterest but I have my doubts about the origins of those of well.

Finally, the ax mark is not one that I've seen documented as French. There are certainly cobalt and gold Limoges pieces out there but they're usually on a much smaller scale. I've never seen a jardiniere and stand in cobalt and gold. I'm not an expert in Chantilly so it may be legit but I've got my doubts. We'll see what others have to say.
    Don

aaroncab and judy like this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

judy likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would go with Pan for the handles.

8. Hi! Did you ever find out anything about the axe stamp? I am curious because I have a set of plates with the same axe mark, also cobalt and gold, each plate has a different coat of arms painted on it and the series is numbered 160. However, this post is the only place I have found that same marking on a piece of anything so I cant provide any further insight but hoping maybe you are able to provide me with some???? Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    i need help, judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Hi, Benny & Plates. Why don't you show us a sample of one of your plates. Maybe it will provide some other ideas for search terms. If French, we may be looking for an hache tag. :joyful:

Aquitaine, i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @BennyWithSomeRandoPlates --

The axe mark on yours looks different from the one in the original post. It is reversed, with the large axe head in the opposite direction. Yours appears to have the mark molded into the piece, while the original is painted. Also, the axe itself is not exactly the same in form.

That being said, the cobalt color looks similar. As Bronwen said, it would be good to see pictures of the plates. You did include part of one, but it's not enough for us to understand the whole plate.

i need help likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Sorry, overlooked the attachment. But, as Fig said, it would be good to have more complete views. I have been looking for 'halberd' as well as the French 'hallebard', with no more luck than with ax/axe.

i need help likes this.
  12. Bronwen

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Krampus, perhaps? He's all the rage right now. :happy:

14. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

Here are a few items in blue and gold with axe marks that might help in your search: LINK, LINK, LINK.

KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  15. IMG_0424a.jpg coat_of_arms.png Not going to lie @Bronwen , I actually LOL'd at the hache tag comment. And thanks @Figtree3 - I dont disagree with regards to the axe mark, the similarity is really just in the shape in general, the handle and blade are shaped very similar and accompanied by only a number. But mine are all imprinted/stamped (not sure of term.) I have looked through numerous makers marks/factory mark/artist marks sheets and cant find a match. This is my only lead. They are a set of 10. I am going to photograph all of them and attach here because you all seem very nice and want to be helpful. I am determined to learn the origin of these plates! Thank you for responding quickly. Here is the full picture of the plate.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Bronwen and i need help like this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Benny! :)
    If you hit Edit, More Options, Check box for Full Size, Save Changes, we can see photos better. Thank you. ;)

17. Thanks! This might be very helpful! Very much appreciated!

i need help likes this.
  18. @JB Miller may have broke the 10 year research for me! I should have used Google translate more often, or searched "hache" ha ha. At least in my 10 minutes of research from the links he sent, it is the mark of Gustave Asch. Also just found a picture of this plate in my search. Will keep looking as the only major difference I am noticing is that it is primarily vases but once I saw this plate it seemed to kind of confirm it for me. Thank you all! If you had any idea how many different search terms in the past months! s-l300.jpg

Figtree3, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Benny,
    Hope you will learn to love this board as much as I do.
    greg

20. Bronwen

If so, could quite possibly be a play on hache. Asch would be pronounced just the same. There was a gem engraver, Pier Maria da Pescia, who 'signed' his pieces by engraving a tiny scene of a boy fishing at the bottom of the piece. A rebus of sorts.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted