Featured Can anyone help me identify this style of chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by chelseabird, Oct 28, 2017.

1. chelseabird

chelseabird New Member

Hello, All,

My husband purchased this chair at auction about 20 years ago as a surprise because he thought I'd love the needlepoint chair. I have tried to find information about it over the years without success. I had always assumed that it was made by a hobbyist carpenter, but I did see a photo of a similar chair on an estate sale listing.

I don't think it has any real value. We are moving house and are planning to part with it, but I have this fear of later seeing it for sale for big $$. Can anyone help me with any information about this style of chair?

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Run of the mill parlor chair,circa 1900 would be my guess. Nothing terribly special.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The needlepoint is a replacement for the original fabric.
    The chair is late 1890s early 1900s.
    I'm not sure I would call it a parlor chair.

In a retail setting I would think the chair would be priced around $150 depending on area.

@verybrad for type of chair

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Turn of the century hall chair. Similar to a Roman chair in form but not exact. Likely American. Nothing particularly rare or desirable about it and agree the seat cover is not original.

5. chelseabird

chelseabird New Member

Thank you for your help @johnnycb09 @clutteredcloset49 and @verybrad. I appreciate the feedback. In my early 20s I donated a dresser we inherited to the salvation army and later saw it in an antique store for $3K. I never want to make a similar mistake.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, i heard that!

Draft saved Draft deleted