Featured Can anyone help me with this mark please?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Deng, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Deng

Deng Member

Hello :)

I'm at a loss to the manufacturer of this plate, I've tried searching star, sun and various other 'starry' shapes.

Tried the pattern too, with various flower names... again with not a lot of luck.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thank you.

20201212_233647.jpg 20201212_233707.jpg 20201212_233738.jpg 20201212_233752.jpg 20201212_233822.jpg 20201212_233830.jpg 20201212_233909.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Maybe a dahlia.

i need help and Deng like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-12-12_19-11-24.jpeg
    british registry marks

4. Deng

Deng Member

Oh, I've never tried that one, I've had chrysanthemum, gazania, marigold... not a dahlia though. Will give it a whirl.

Thank you, it's very difficult to read. I can't make up my mind if there is an L under IV or a B or D (Lol... covering just about all the options here!) so that puts it about 1850's ish. I 'think' it's an M on the left, possible 2 on the right, although it looks a bit squiggly... and an I at the bottom...

judy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I'm not a skilled as others but I think there is a 27 at top.

20201212_233738.jpg

judy, i need help and Deng like this.
  6. Deng

Deng Member

That looks a bit clearer... and I agree, it does look like 27... (off to search for diamonds with numbers at the top...) :)

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe someone has a reference on William Brownfield, saw something similar to the star:sun.

KikoBlueEyes and Deng like this.
  8. Deng

Deng Member

Thank you, I'll have a look and see if I can come across anything.

judy, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. Ally330

Ally330 Weekend thrifter

My google search: 91/2 in cream and maroon plate with dahlias and British diamond. My find: absolutely nothing lol. I looked for you though. Thought it might be Minton or Staffordshire. Im new to the game though...

judy, Deng and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Ah the joys of the hunt. Hopefully, you learned something along the way.

11. Ally330

Ally330 Weekend thrifter

Yeah!! There are SO Many GORGEOUS Minton plates I can't stand it. Lol. Also I think this plate maybe hand painted one of a kind. Its lovely!

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not the easiest to read but making assumptions.
    1. The top has to be a Roman numeral IV = ceramics
    2. D=1852 or B=1858
    3. M=June
    4. day with single digit
    5. parcel number ?
    Using my Cushion's Pocket Book of British Ceramic Marks, it shows these manufacturers on those possible days. If the mark has different numbers than I'm guessing then these don't apply.

June 1, 1852 parcel 2, J.M Blashfield, patent 85224-5
    June 5, 1852 parcel 5, Minton & Co, patent 85248
    June 2, 1858 parcel 1, Wm Brownfield, patent 113905-6

upload_2020-12-15_0-16-0.png

Ally330, judy, Deng and 2 others like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

If the impressed letters are different, who knows. I'll throw a couple other names in just in case the M is a K (though always could be something else)

John Holland
    James Stiff
    Wm. Savage

15. Deng

Deng Member

Thank you so much, I would never find this out on my own and it is so helpful. I'm off to work now but will do some sleuthing once home tonight.

Ally330, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. Deng

Deng Member

An eBay find, bought to sell... but to be honest I love the colours and design... so it may be one of those that find its way into my collection... (no doubt my partner will sigh and point to the ever-growing pile) :oops:

17. say_it_slowly

18. Deng

Deng Member

i need help likes this.
  19. Deng

Deng Member

Bugger.. not sure how I managed to get my reply in a little orange box... hope you guys can see it!

i need help likes this.
  20. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

SIS, if the star is Brownfield, can you check your book for the year K=1857, month M=June, day 5, and bundle 3? I can see a K if I squint. This is partly me squinting and partly looking at the Photane chart.

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted