Can anyone help with a Japanese signature this bowl?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sassafras, Jun 25, 2022.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I've got several pieces of Black Ship Imari and there's a signature on one of the pieces. Can anyone translate this, pretty please? I'm not even sure if it's facing the right way. 20220614_152154.jpg 20220614_152237.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

It looks like an upside down Chinese Long life symbol?
    Mikey

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. sassafras

It does look a lot like it!

judy likes this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yep looks like shou 壽 longevity

5. sassafras

Aha! Just found out the symbol is called a Kotobuki mark and it's sideways. It should turn 90 degrees to the right, so that it looks like a fish. It means happiness, congratulations or long life.

6. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

it is upside down, not sideways, and it is a slightly badly written kotobuki.

JayBee and judy like this.
  7. sassafras

Thank you very much!

judy likes this.
  8. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

IMHO The bowl is actually Arita. Meiji period,
    The generic Kotobuki mark was used but I didn't find out why. Arita used a lot of Chinese Mark's in the 18th and 19th Century.
    Mikey

9. sassafras

Thank you so much, Mikey!

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted