Featured Can anyone help with this? Our estate liquidators wanted it like crazy

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bryan Kafka, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It certainly looks good in the photographs. That chair looks like a keeper too.

That's what happened with my friend that I told not to take the $3500 from the liquidator. They put the house on the market thinking it would take some time to sell and it sold within a week.

TT Antique likes this.
  2. Mill Cove Treasures

Can you pay for an extra month to keep the apartment or was it already rented?

TT Antique, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

shoot us pics of anything...we'll help the best we can....;)
    none of us likes what you're up against..:(

4. Bryan Kafka

Bryan Kafka Member

I really can't. They want us out. They won't let us pay another month. I can force eviction to get a couple more weeks... I'm just looking for a ballpark idea of what that may be worth. If worst comes to worst I will sell it to a liquidator for a fair price considering their moving costs. And donate the funds to charity. I have to donate the piece per the will. Believe it or not....no school will take it. If anyone knows of a 501c3 that you know would take it in NYC, and quickly, please tell.

judy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:(:(:(

6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

You could try to check on piano prices, but the market is not good...too many people want electric keyboards, and there are too few people wanting baby grands compared to the number of people that want to get rid of theirs. They just take a lot of space, and houses are getting smaller. Especially since most baby grands are in a condition that might require $5,000 or more in tuning and reconditioning to make them play right; you'd want to have a professional check yours out as to condition, as well as to give you an idea what it might be worth, and whether it is worth reconditioning. A professional could also give you some pointers on where best to sell a piano.

Mason & Hamlin is a good name; but if yours turns out to be worth $5K and needs $4K of work, you might not be able to sell it at any price. If it is worth $20K and needs no work....you might get lucky.
    (And uprights, forget it. A recent article from Vancouver BC stated that the city dumps receive 2-3 pianos per day.)

judy likes this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

20/20 or Dateline did a piece not long ago on a charity that serves underprivileged kids with music programs in NYC. I'll see if I can find it. I found this one.

http://harmonyprogram.org/

judy, cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Mill Cove Treasures

9. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

the fact schools refused might have to do with accounting jargon and the donation's implication on the next year's 'budget' if they are public kind of schools.the same might go for public hospitals,,,we live in a strange and complicated world ,,,for me it is nonsense and irresponsible but it is not uncommon to hear such strange stories around the world where some public hospitals even refusing kidney dialysis machines as donations...maybe you could try NGOs or churches or schools run by churches etc
    TTA

judy likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I would certainly try the link Mill Cove posted -- looks promising.

Best of luck!

judy likes this.
  11. Bryan Kafka

Bryan Kafka Member

1511734363921630468442.jpg

What does this mean? 95% silver? It is the bottom of what looks to be table clock

judy likes this.
  12. Bryan Kafka

Bryan Kafka Member

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

komokwa, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  14. Bryan Kafka

Bryan Kafka Member

Is this valuable to any degree in your opinion?

judy likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Having worked at a 501(c)(3) with programs for kids, I can tell you our one storage closet & part of the executive director's office were filled with odds & ends of still working but superannuated computer stuff. We hated to say no to people, once in a while we found something we could use, think in a few cases we were able to give something as 'specific assistance' to a kid, but mostly it just accumulated & got even more out of date. If you were contacting public schools, I can understand that a piano might not be something they wanted to deal with, especially since things like music programs were cut long ago. Know you're pressed for enough hours in a day, but Brooklyn Music School, as suggested, Mannes, Julliard, might be in a position to be the recipient of record while passing the instrument on to a student in need of one. There could be a restriction that it had to stay in the hands of a student, not go on with them after graduation.

judy likes this.
  16. Bronwen

17. Bryan Kafka

Bryan Kafka Member

Any idea what this means?

18. Bronwen

If that's addressed to me, it means I don't type very well & did not proofread adequately. The link is to a NYC organization that might accept a donated piano.

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

If you are referring to the clock, no one knows as yet, it could be silver or silver plated or pewter.
    Is it mechanical or battery operated ?
    It looks good quality don`t discard it until you know what it is.

20. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted