Featured Can anyone ID this Asian Hallmark or type of metal used in this ladle?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Curioser, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

A friend picked this up. We moved months ago but still haven't been able to unpack any of my useful jewelry things, i.e., test acids, hallmark books.

I don't know which way the marks should be read so I photo'd them from both sides. The ladle has an acorn finial with what look like elk horns undernea th and odd impressed leaves/berries on the grip. The long handle has raised bamboo leaves.

Can anyone ID the mark? Is it Chinese? Any idea of age or metal content?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Asian_ladle_4.jpg Asian_ladle_3.jpg Asian_ladle_2.jpg Asian_ladle_5.jpg Asian_ladle_1.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

That would be silver and yes Chinese and yes a very nice piece IMO

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Chinese Export Silver, beautiful and very collectible. The metal content of CES is usually ca 900.
    Here is a list of CES marks:
    https://www.925-1000.com/chinex_marks.html

If it isn't there, you can check this site:
    http://chinese-export-silver.com.gridhosted.co.uk/about-2/
    Adrien has a comprehensive pdf file with CES marks. I think you can also ask him for an id through a contact form.

It looks like it was made in commission for a European family, with their crest and other symbols like a pine cone (not acorn :)).
    My guess would be a family with a Breton (France) connection. Those symbols on the crest look related to the ermine symbols on the crest of Brittany.
    This is the crest of Brittany:

[​IMG]

@kyratango , any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

My idea is same as yours! Chinese interpretation of the "hermines de Bretagne":joyful:

CheersDears and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Hello @blooey , @Any Jewelry and @kyratango
    Thanks so much for all your input! I will check out all the Hallmark sites to see if I find a match. I never would have thought that's some of the marks would indicate a family crest but it makes sense especially with the mixing of the eastern and western elements. And I should have known that the top item was a Pinecone, I'm surrounded by them here!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted