Featured Can anyone identify Native American motif floor lamp?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

D8F18BD2-E744-4112-82D2-3D50E564AE7A.jpeg 810C6CC6-1C30-497E-B06B-A9FCD6B88F91.jpeg 78CA70A0-3434-41EF-AB7D-79790404C41A.jpeg D50AC38D-1A54-4CFC-8E28-B343DD3A895B.jpeg 743E98E2-EA11-4E3E-A749-7A701B12D67C.jpeg

Hello all. I went exploring at one of my local antique stores, which unfortunately is closing, and found this vintage (1920s era) floor lamp. It has an unusual authentic mica shade, which has some sort of metal tracing on the outside which also causes a variation on color. The shade’s workmanship is wonderful. As you can see it appears to be some sort of Native American (or Mayan, Aztec, etc.) motif, with a polychrome arrow, pyramid base, and even a stylized Deco finial. It is jut shy of 60”.

Was there a Native American motif revival during the 1920s or 1930s? I haven’t seen anything like this, and there is no maker’s mark that I can find.

The lamp had been rewired but other than that it is original. I couldn’t resist, so I bought it.

Thanks.

Zinnie, komokwa, i need help and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice lamp...looks like a man eating plant on the shade............:hilarious:

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

A Triffid or Little Shop of Horrors lamp shade.

4. komokwa

the metal is giving off a Deco vibe...........no ??

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Unusual lamp, looks to be Art Deco, I don't think the design indicates southwest Indian but rather the decor of the times, perhaps about 1930. The shade looks like a Venus fly trap plant. All of this just my own opinion. The top finial is very large, looks oversized.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Unlike the refinishing of most antiques, the tasteful and proper rewiring of a lamp increases its value.

7. komokwa

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Definitely the early geometric form of the early art deco aesthetic, 1925-30. It's actually in very nice condition, particularity the mica shade which are often more deteriorated by 90 years old. . . nice lamp.

Ghopper1924, antidiem and i need help like this.
  9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That is a most weird lamp! Love it! Especially that rapacious plant on the shade.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Great find! Agree with the others. All original art deco period lamp with mica shade. Condition is exceptional. Nothing NA about it, though art deco designers did take inspiration from ancient civilization's design motifs.

11. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

It's a lovely thing. Apart from the vaguely Triffid motif on the shade, might there be a touch of Egyptian influence in the designs? Wasn't Carter digging up King Tut in the 1920s?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I think IMHO this is the best lead on the lamp and its origin.

The plant appears to be a large seed opening up and here's a possibility for what it could be, used as representation of an exotic Mayan flower (cacao tree not being a good fit):
    http://www.maya-ethnobotany.org/edi...sion-tree-sacred-flower-mayan-iconography.php

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

A quick update. I gave it a gentle cleaning with diluted Simple Green and found “643” stamped along the bottom edge of the pyramid style base.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I think this is Mayan Revival. The Pyramid base is a stylized Aztec pyramid. I could not find a maker’s name, other than the 643 on the bottom edge. I also found some stamped numbers on the inside but they are hard to discern.

The next post has a photo of the numbers underneath.

Presumably these are model numbers but do they give any clue as to the maker?

Zinnie and Ghopper1924 like this.
  15. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

16. komokwa

Ya...I kinda said that already......

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful. I wonder if it originally came from a movie theater?

Draft saved Draft deleted