Featured Can anyone identify this Egyptian-ish lamp?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JustStarting, Aug 3, 2021.

1. JustStarting

JustStarting New Member

If you're a Gilmore girls fan, you can spot this lamp in Richard's study. Unfortunately, the screen caps aren't very clear, and the one image I found isn't much better. It mostly looks like a sphinx, but it looks like it has boobs, so maybe Bast, which was occasionally represented with wings? I think Tiffany had cat lamps where the green eyes lit up at some point, so maybe it's Tiffany, or some imitation thereof? It's so extreme that it's actually pretty cool, so I'd be thrilled with any hints as to what it might be, thank you! :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The Sphinx is female.

Ghopper1924, Janice Nicholls and judy like this.
  3. JustStarting

JustStarting New Member

Unlike the Greek sphinx, which was a woman, the Egyptian sphinx is typically shown as a man (an androsphinx (Ancient Greek: ανδρόσφιγξ)).

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Guess the modeler of the lamp base wasn't so erudite.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These antique lamps with metal shades with glass inserts are usually European in origin. Whether or not this is an old one, can't be told from these photos.

Fid, Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So glad I paid Antiquers an albeit short visit, you made my day.:joyful::kiss:

7. Bronwen

Nice to see you, even if only a cameo appearance. :kiss::kiss:

Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

If antique then probably from the 1920s when there was a second Egyptian Revival going on. This style lamp can be worth a pretty penny (IF original!)

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

She also has wings. I think it's supposed to be a gardian angel.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  10. JustStarting

JustStarting New Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that those images weren't clickable, and that's all you could see! In these bigger images, you can see the animal body, so this is no angel:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

A cheeky modern version of this:

[​IMG]

Boland likes this.
  12. JustStarting

JustStarting New Member

That looks like the same kind of figure, yes! The lamp is in the study of a very wealthy and conservative man, whose wife is fanatical about antiques, so presumably it's either antique or vintage, or is designed to appear that way. I know that I've seen lamps that light up behind the eyes like that, and in fact Tiffany made a cat lamp that did just that back in the day, so I'm thinking that the lamp might be from that era, or be a modern copy of a lamp from that era…?

Draft saved Draft deleted