Featured Can anyone identify this pottery mark and beautiful jug?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Herons, Nov 4, 2023.

1. Herons

Herons New Member

I am thinking this is American, Canadian or British. I am leaning to American or Canadian as the top/stopper and spout section are covered with metal marked "Sterling" - if British I would have expected the "Lion Passant", City and date mark to signify the silver content. I got it at an auction in Canada. The ceramic jug stands about 7.25" tall. You can see the crazing on the bottom, but the outside surface of the jug is still in great condition with no crazing and a very smooth finish. Anyone know the pottery mark, origin, age or purpose of this very pretty vessel? I think that is "B F" or "B&F" just below the "paw/hoof" of the Pegasus type creature - not sure if those are letters above its head. Thanks in advance!

pottery mark small burgundy jug a.jpg
    jug1a.jpg

jug2a.jpg

KikoBlueEyes, Boland and komokwa like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  3. Herons

Herons New Member

Thanks for the quick reply - that would definitely look to be it! . I guess the Lion Passant was not always used, perhaps as it is more incidental to the piece, as opposed to an object entirely made of sterling. I wonder if the Pegasus and "B&F" have something to do with the contents?

John Brassey and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

more likely the retailer...

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Draft saved Draft deleted