Can anyone identify this wooden cabinet?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JamieY, Feb 17, 2023.

1. JamieY

JamieY New Member

Hi,

I was told that this wooden cabinet is 300 years old from the previous owner. Some of the shelves inside seems to be replaced.

Can anyone help identify and estimate the value?

Thanks

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Some call this a French Provincial matrimonial armoire or wedding armoire - might be from the Normandy area. It does have age I don't think it is first quarter 18th C.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Spot on Laurel ! I've also seen it called a French or Provencal Linen Press.30 years ago I saw two that def appeared to be 19th (not 18th),that I think were going for $1500-$2000 each.
    Even if it's not that old it's an impressive piece,the millionaires in the California Wine Country (who wished their Estates were in Provence or Sorrento) go gaga for this stuff.
    It looks good in their tasting room or wherever in their faux Provencal or Tuscan style villas.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would also call it an armoire. If so, the shelves would have been added later for more modern use. I have an 1850 house. Very few closets, and those are tiny. Armoires had hanging rods and were essential closets for hanging closes.

5. bosko69

6. bosko69

By the way Jamie,where did you find it ?

kyratango likes this.
  7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately - although lovely - does not sell well at auction at least not in Atlanta.

8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Nice handles and hinges too.

laura9797, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I once moved into a tiny 1 bedroom apt that someone had left an armoire that looked very much like this but was painted purple. I decided to refinish it right in the apt,wich was a bad mistake as the fumes about did me in. Long story short,it came out nicely and when I was moving I sold it for a few 100 dollars. When the guy came to pick it up I watched in astonishment as he took it apart and carried it off.I didnt know you could disassemble it or Id have kept it ! :)

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Also would call this an armoire. Think very late 18th century at the earliest. More likely 19th century. Though you might see something like this for a couple grand in an upscale US shop, I think under $500 more realistic for most locations and selling venues these days.

laura9797 and kyratango like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Armoires still sell well here not like they use to but very useful for craft supplies etc.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted