Can anyone make out these marks? British but...?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by evelyb30, Jan 25, 2021.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The church was IDed on the Finds thread as Chesterfield Parish church, twisted spire and all. I just figured it for upscale Halloween jewelry or haunted church stuff. It has some really blurred out marks on the bail. I can make out the lion and what looks like a date code. For the rest, maybe London? These are the best shots I could get.

DSCF5478.JPG DSCF5479.JPG DSCF5480.JPG DSCF5481.JPG

komokwa likes this.
  2. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Looks like a London mark. Very popular tourist spot. My sister lived in a town near there for 60 years, so I knew the area well. A touristy souvenir a bit better than the usual stuff. It is very famous spire with folk tales as to how it got twisted. (probably green wood was used that had not dried out properly when used) Chesterfield used to have a very good antique/secondhand market on a Thursday. Used to enjoy buying there when I visited my sister.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is there any way to get a pic of the punch to the far left on the bail in the second picture above, Ruth? And what are you reading the date as - O or Q?

4. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the town mark you seem to need. I made a mistake looking at the punch marks. My old eyes are letting me own. It looks like a Sheffield mark for 1988 onwards, but really needs to be looked at more carefully.

5. evelyb30

I tried multiple times. I can try again in full daylight, but the results may not improve much.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's 1988, the letters are the same regardless of assay office. Badly punched London mark.

7. evelyb30

...and I see this right after making myself crazy trying to get a clearer shot of the mark. It definitely has a 925 mark on one end. London 1988 fits with the design of the piece. Thanks.

8. evelyb30

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like London, 2013 to me...

~Cheryl

10. evelyb30

That would better explain the shoddiness of the strike.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, that's a better view of it, no tail on the O. Birmingham, London and Sheffield all use the same date letter cycle now.

12. evelyb30

I'd wondered about that. They finally got around to it. The necklace may well end up in Maine; I've cousins who were stationed there and their son is married to a lady who'd love something like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted