Can anyone make out this signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by DeAnne, Sep 18, 2020.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Any ideas ? TIA

IMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7070.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That may well be a factory painting, in which case the signature would be unimportant. Would you be kind enough to post a photograph of the entire work including frame both front and back?

Debora

3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The signature looks like an afterthought.
    Reads as Merriott to my eye.

DeAnne likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To mine as well.

Debora

DeAnne likes this.
  5. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

oh sorry lol forgot to post a picture of the painting

IMG_7066.JPG

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Moulin Rouge. A popular subject for factory painters. And just the size to hang over a sofa.

Debora

il_794xN.2445599566_arut.jpg

NewEngland and DeAnne like this.
  7. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I think I found it. I think it was done by Jack Merriott
    The signature on the painting is very similar. What I have found with all the paintings I have looked up so far in this lot is they are all originals an done by actual listed artists. None very valuable though.

IMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7080.PNG

8. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

An some not by listed artist but done by someone not factory paintings. Like this one as example I have seen several sold by this artist the one here that sold was 16 by 20 the one I have is 2 feet by 3 feet

IMG_7065.JPG

IMG_7084.PNG

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Despite the signature, your painting has nothing in common with the work of the listed British artist Jack Merriott. He mainly worked in watercolor and was a painter of great subtlety and charm. A very different location but... Compare this street scene with yours.

Debora

20110726011725england-town-Kersey-1957.jpg

smallaxe likes this.
  10. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I did look into his history he also did oils he just was more well know for his water colors

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Regardless, not the work of the same artist.

Debora

smallaxe likes this.
  12. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

13. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

An of course I have one in the less desirable category of his artwork

IMG_7093.JPG

14. smallaxe

To be fair, most of those Paul Pollaro paintings you linked to look like the same artist (American). Except for the two bluish landscapes. But they are by a different Paul Pollaro (British), so that's not surprising.

15. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

you are correct I am sorry but as far as the other painting I still believe he did do it. Look at the M they way it is shaped like an R on the right hand side that is very distinct

16. smallaxe

Sorry, I don't see it. I'm with Debora. Signature looks different ("rio" stretched in one, compressed in the other, tail of o off the bottom in one, off the top in the other, second t has leading stroke in one, not in other, etc). The style of the painting looks completely different.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think the red signature was applied after the fact of the painting, appears to be signed by a red sharpie over the oil paint, which is a huge red flag to me that anyone or no one artistic signed that.

As much as I wish the siggys would match for you, DeAnne, they just don't. The Ms are close, but the TTs are totally not.

DeAnne likes this.
  18. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just my eyes.

antidiem likes this.
  19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Naw, they do look very similar. But can you tell me for sure - was that oil painting signed with a red sharpie? If so, that signature will fade / wear right off!

20. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Give me a minute and I will scrub on it an let you know lol

Draft saved Draft deleted