Featured Can anyone read Japanese? Old Netsukes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sdcookie2, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

the first one looks to be of Shoki the demon queller, if thats an Oni he has captured under his hat rather than being just a guy riding a turtle. They mostly seem to have a similar carving style and nicely done but don't seem particularly old based on similar ones I have and have seen and handled.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree.
    I suggested in a PM to Sd to ask on the netsuke forum, but not to be disappointed if these are not the right age. Coincidentally, that was a day before @2manybooks posted those very informative links.
    I've seen Chinese and Indonesian made 'netsuke' for sale for many years. The Indonesian ones are wood btw, not ivory.

I happen to like the first monkey, the look on its face is like you see on some antique ones. But if it is post-Cites....:nailbiting: and possibly not Japanese made....:sorry:
    I still think it is best to ask the netsuke people though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sd, I just noticed you posted them on the netsuke forum and got your answer. I thought as much, but I hope you weren't disappointed. Unfortunately most netsuke are not what they seem to be.
    Many of us own netsuke that "aren't", there is no shame in that. When you buy or are given your first netsuke, you just don't know the pitfalls.
    My first mistake, many decades ago as a teen, caused me to stop buying ivory netsukes. Mine was still within CITES rules, but it did make me think.
    Netsukes are very attractive, but there is so much to know, you really have to do a lot of research before you buy.

You also have you answer about the signatures. It may be good for others to know that none of them are actually Japanese.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted