Can Anyone Share Some Insight On These Lovely Chairs?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by StarCastle33, Feb 15, 2021.

1. StarCastle33

StarCastle33 Active Member

Hi all,
    Hope all is well. Over the weekend, I made an acquaintance and after telling them what I do, they asked if I can look into these chairs for her. Furniture is outside of my scope, so I was hoping there could be someone here that could help me identify period, style, or any other information I could pass on to the new friend. Thank you in advance for any possible help. You all are really terrifically great hearted people. chair 6.jpg chair 1.jpg chair 2.jpg chair 3.jpg chair 4.jpg chair 5.jpg chair 7.jpg chair 8.jpg chair 9.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Victorian and pretty, but beyond that I'm guessing. Part of a dining room set for sure; I'm seeing on side chair and one end chair. Dating can vary by a mile depending on where you are. If they're American I'd guess about 1880. Pieces like this don't sell well where I live.

Ghopper1924 and StarCastle33 like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If I saw them here, I'd think the one sans arms slightly later, as it's slightly lighter than 1880s. Edwardian perhaps.

6. evelyb30

Could be. Those "grooves" in the sides of the chair normally have me thinking about 1900 or so here in the USA. We could really use someone who knows what they're talking about.(LOL)

7. StarCastle33

Thank you to everyone who has participated thus far. Im trying to do research with every little bit of clue yall are providing. Just wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Someone did a nice job of newer tapestry on those.

StarCastle33 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Needlepoint. Likely finished from canvases which were bought with the floral centers already completed. From maroon colorway, I'd think 1940s or a bit earlier. The designs on arm chair appear to be mis-matched. Appears upholstery studs were applied by an amateur.

Debora

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Aesthetic movement walnut dining arm and side chairs. The decorative motifs indicate that they were designed by someone who was versed in the latest styles. Evelyb30 indicated a date of ca. 1880; I'd say that's pretty accurate; maybe the late 1880s/early 1890s.

And yes, probably not worth a lot of $ here in the brown furniture depression. Nevertheless, these chairs are a cut above....best to cherish and keep.

11. evelyb30

I'd say Debra is dead on about the needlepoint. My grandmother had similar covers on her chairs, all done just after WWII. I'm guessing the fabric on the back of the chair is the original upholstery.

StarCastle33 likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ma did seat covers like these and tended to generically call them tapestry, although it was finer work. That would be early 50s ish. From memory, pale blue backgrounds and yes, a deep maroon. Our dining room was Wedgwood blue paint with a couple of panels let in with purpose mixed paint in a deep red. Very Georgian.

BoudiccaJones and StarCastle33 like this.
  13. StarCastle33

Ghopper1924,
    Thank you so much. I was looking into the points you mentioned, and I am most grateful for yours as well as the others who have helped nudge this along the way. I wanted to perhaps lean upon ya and ask, do these have an Eastlake feel to them, or not at all? And also, would you venture to guess the designs were press-back or carved? I am so appreciative of everyone here. A tremendous amount of thanks for all your input.

14. StarCastle33

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Charming.

Debora

16. Ghopper1924

Hi @StarCastle33

The chairs do have an Eastlake feel, but better informed than the average. The top rail, for example, is reminiscent of the typical Eastlake ball and stick, but better elaborated. In addition, the use of daisies is a hallmark of the aesthetic movement, and they are front and center here.

There is enough variation in the incised ornament to indicate that most of it is hand-carved. The extended lines may be done by machine, but most of the accent marks have been done by hand.

As I said, these are a cut above. If you can conceive of any use for them at all, I'd keep them.

BTW, are you a fan of the American progressive band Starcastle? Just wondering.......

17. StarCastle33

Ghopper1924,
    Sorry for the late reply, was entertaining company the last few days. My kindest regards for the explanations you have provided here. The chairs were for a friend who was asking, and I passed on the information you were so kind enough to enlighten us with.

As for the band Starcastle, haha, I had heard about them after I came up with the name, but hadnt heard any of their music. Perhaps, today is a good day to explore and I shall throw it on as background while I work.

I really want to my deepest gratitude for helping me narrow down these chairs. Im not as active on this board like I should be, so forgive me if this has already been answered but, does this board have a thread dedicated to the regulars here and perhaps their handles for say paypal or venmo or something? I know a lot of you guys and gals just do this for fun or just cause your great hearted, but there are plenty who would love to digitally buy you a cup of coffee if there was a place to donate to.

Again, many thanks for all who helped bring this into focus. You all are great, and my thanks dearly to you.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. Ghopper1924

StarCastle33:

I think Starcastle is long gone, though I did see them in concert way back in the late 70s. They were fantastic, a lot like Yes.

Your offer is more than generous. I can't speak for anyone else, but I just do this to help and to have fun. I have also called upon the expertise of various Boardies in the past, and it's helped immensely, so maybe it's payback as well.

I don't know what to tell you; a cup of coffee sounds great! :) :) Otherwise, your offer is more than enough!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted