Can I clean this ring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tressie, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Tressie

Tressie Member

Can I clean a diamond ring safely using an ultrasonic cleaner? I know it’s ok for costume jewelry but I wasn’t sure about diamonds. Help!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That depends on the ring, and the shape the ring is in. It's fine for a lot of newer pieces, but older ones can be damaged.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Tressie like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ultrasonic is ok for diamonds, but as evelyb says, it may not be for the ring.
    Soapy water is fine. I use alcohol sometimes for nasty grime.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Tressie like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS!!!

I can't believe how sparkly my rings come out when doing the dishes!!!! If I think they've got muck in the settings, sometimes I'll also use a SOFT toothbrush, GENTLY!! AND agree with the alcohol on occasion if needed!!!

5. Tressie

Tressie Member

Ok, thanks! I’ll give the soapy water a try I would guess that it’s from the 80’s or 90’s. I’m not 100% sure that it’s real diamonds but I just get a gut feeling that it is. And even if they are real diamonds, I’m guessing that I probably wouldn’t get too much for it. I’ll post a pic after I can get some of this muck off of it.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ultrasound works fine on decent settings. I'd not use soapy water, it smears it. Soak it in a bit of vodka or gin, then use an old toothbrush and a toothpick as well.

7. Tressie

Tressie Member

I do have vodka.

bluumz, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Soapy water is fine as long as you rinse and dry afterwards. I use gentle liquid handsoap.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd use that, then.

Tressie and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A friend who loves rings with rocks of all types swears by toothpaste & I use it for some cameo cleaning applications. Just have to rinse well & get it out of any crevices.

Tressie and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I use windex for a soak for my diamonds. I have done it for years and they stay very sparkly.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't have enough diamonds to worry about it.(LOL)

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Neither do I evelyb30!

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Tressie

Tressie Member

I have it cleaned enough to take a picture of. I’m goinv to start a new thread with a pic to get some opinions on it.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  15. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

My mom used a little dish of ammonia.
    I've never done it myself, tho.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted