Can somebody please tell me what I have?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

This a one was sold as a Murano:

Murano 1.jpg

But can anybody help me by recognising the style of somebody of a renowned glassblower, or is it just a bad fake:

DSCF6245A.jpg

DSCF6246B.jpg

DSCF6247C.jpg

DSCF6248D.jpg

DSCF6251E.jpg

DSCF6253F.jpg

DSCF6254G.jpg

DSCF6257J.jpg

Look forward to your comments, so thank you.

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi I may be way off base, but my family bought some similar ones in Italy in the 70's.
    Wait for the experts to weigh in.

Brian Warshaw, judy and Houseful like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Not an expert at all but my first thought was bohemian but the cameo points to Italy as Pearls has said, so hopefully others will know for sure.

Brian Warshaw, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

These flower enamelled pieces were made in Bohemia/Czechoslovakia as well as on Murano and in other parts of Italy. They stil are. Supposedly, you can tell if they're Italian or Czech from the flower shapes. I'm inclined to 1950s Czech on this one, but it might be slightly pre WW2.

5. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The cameo almost looks like a sulfide. What is it made of?

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

It does, doesn't it.

7. Brian Warshaw

I really wouldn't know. This is the first one of these that I have seen in the real.

The cameo is slightly off-white pink and at it thickest, in the middle about 3mm. The edge is painted pink to match the colour it is adhered to on the glass.

@pearlsnblume @Houseful @Ownedbybear @Darkwing Manor Thank you for your encouraging comments.

Houseful and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Brian Warshaw

9. Ownedbybear

It doesn't actually make much difference on value. Normally, glasses like this are a few pounds or dollars. The unsual thing with yours is that cameo. From what you've said, I suspect it's a little lampwork cameo that's been attached, rather than an actual sulphide.

Brian Warshaw and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Darkwing Manor

A sulfide is molded, not carved. According to Wiki, it was the technique used in glass fabrications. "A variation of a carved cameo is a cameo incrustation (or sulphide). An artist, usually an engraver, carves a small portrait, then makes a cast from the carving, from which a ceramic type cameo is produced. This is then encased in a glass object, often a paperweight. These are very difficult to make but were popular from the late 18th century through the end of the 19th century. Originating in Bohemia, the finest examples were made by the French glassworks in the early to mid-nineteenth century.[2]" I've only seen them in marbles and paperweights. Here is a group attributed to Moser.
    ruby-red-glass-decanter-raised-cameo_1_a0452191993d2c7e831d64e757599a95.jpg

pearlsnblume and Brian Warshaw like this.
  11. Brian Warshaw

@Darkwing Manor Thank you, that is fantastic. So what are your feelings now? Is it a cast sulphide, it certainly isn't glass or imbedded in glass, I would have suggested porcelain, neither glazed nor full biscuit. Under a glass it is well detailed for its size.

Do you think the workmanship is up to Moser standards?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. Darkwing Manor

These are the fist sulfides on tableware I've seen, so I'm not qualified to say. I suggest you Google more with those expanded search terms. It looks applied, not encased.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I'm not seing Moser quality on that cameo, I'm afraid. And the other decor isn't complex enough.

Brian Warshaw and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Brian Warshaw

I'm afraid I agreed with you even before made it.

I will however put together a folder of photos and send off an enquiry to the Moser Museum, and get their wisdom.

Actually the cameo is quite pretty and detailed, but is stuck on the glass quite badly.

I haven't taken a decent detailed photograph since roll film went out of fashion.

Darkwing Manor and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Brian Warshaw

Thank you all for your contributions. I have learned a lot. If Moser has anything interesting to say, I will post it here.

Darkwing Manor and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted