Featured Can someone help me with an antique watch? TYIA

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 5, 2022.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

46A75318-60E0-4A07-B50D-7C0FE3013D06.jpeg CBB4D7F0-91E2-4D87-9054-5E6A3799859F.jpeg 7F91485B-0404-4E48-837C-340693C44282.jpeg 149111E2-0DB0-4477-A41E-26C6A707EBA9.jpeg
    Hi guys,
    I was trying to research this a bit and thought I remembered finding this was about from the year 1887. I screenshot what I found and now cannot find the screenshot or how I figured that out.

it’s a BW Raymond, 17j, Dueber Coin Silver Case pocket watch. It measures 2 5/16th inches wide. How do I know what the case size is. Would this be considered a railroad pocket watch?

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated.

thank you guys so much!

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I luv that the S/F has a screw slide......never seen that before,,,

I thought railroads were 3 inches or so...???

gauntlettgems and judy like this.
  3. gauntlettgems

I have no clue. I need to read up more and see what I can find. Ty!

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

is there a design on the back?

judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  5. gauntlettgems

The back is plain. A12A2886-7C16-4107-9949-38B952F48D42.jpeg

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

that looks to be a pretty nice movement for such a plain case....??

time to investigate !!!
    Do u think Mr Raymond was the owner..or dealer?

judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  7. gauntlettgems

It be looks like that has something to do with the actual watch manufacturer. Maybe the model or style?!! Saw a few with that name. Don’t think he owned them all. Lol. But really, WTHDIK?

komokwa and judy like this.
  8. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Size is measured by the width of the movement, not the case. It's probably an 18 size. It's a quality watch but not a railroad watch. Dates to 1898. Has 17 jewels with no adjustments. Double sunk face in excellent condition. Coin silver = 90% silver. Crystal is noticeably scratched/foggy but is probably original. "B. W. Raymond" was was one of the founders of the Elgin Watch Co. It is probably lever set, stem wind.
    It's a nice watch and worth having it cleaned and the X'l replaced from new/old stock. Retail on this watch would be between $200 to $300 so be careful of repair costs.

gauntlettgems, komokwa and Boland like this.
  9. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Nice find. You can see your watch works details here;
    Elgin Pocket Watch: Serial Number 7456882 (Grade 180) (pocketwatchdatabase.com)

I believe the coin silver cases on an 18s are like 3 ounces without the works - going from memory now so don't quote me. It is railroad grade - just an FYI. The plain coin case is nice IMHO as typically an engraved case on PW this old would be heavily worn. Allows someone to have it customized :) Anyway, BW Raymond PW are desirable. A lot goes into value, age, configuration, dial, does it run, case condition etc. If the crystal can be polished out if glass and if plastic, replaced.

Hope this is helpful.

gauntlettgems, komokwa and Boland like this.
  10. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted