Can someone identify that signature?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by AAlkis, Nov 9, 2019.

1. AAlkis

AAlkis New Member

Hello guys i need your help!

I have an old porcelain vase and it has that signature on the bottom..

Does anyone recognize it?

Attached Files:

2. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Please post some photos of the vase-it can easily narrow down a country/age/style.

3. AAlkis

AAlkis New Member

its about 45x33cm

Attached Files:

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looks French to me, I'll go see if I have that mark in one of my books ..back in a bit:bookworm:
    <edit> ok, I'm back - not any mark in the French section but a couple of possibilities in the English section:jawdrop:

1. Early Carter, Stabler and Adams mark

2. Jean-Charles Cazin (French but worked mainly in London)

good luck!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    i need help, judy and AAlkis like this.
  6. AAlkis

AAlkis New Member

Thanks! Somebody told me that this might be Islamic? It looks like arabic language

judy likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

As far as I know, not much if any porcelain was produced in the Islamic world, pottery yes, lots, porcelain? Nope.

I still think you are dealing with a monogram written in the "regular" alphabet.

Could you take a picture less tightly cropped so we can see the form and scale of the piece?

i need help likes this.
  8. AAlkis

AAlkis New Member

I cant take new photo at the moment sorry.. its 33cm tall, interior max diameter is around 45cm, neck and bottom diameter is 33cm

judy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think they were guessing.......

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, there is nothing Islamic about this vase (cache-pot?). Not in the style of the decoration and not in the mark.

blooey and i need help like this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I’m stumped. I see a K and a C or G. But maybe that’s not the correct orientation?

blooey and i need help like this.
  13. AAlkis

AAlkis New Member

Here is a photo that you can see the shape better

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      820.5 KB
      Views:
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

After a few days puzzling over this vase, I realized there was something very familiar about the beast and shield motif and the "French Renaissance" feel I got from it ...... Today, that memory "jog" set me off on a trail I hadn't been down for many a moon ..

About 20 years ago, I was fortunate enough to acquire and sell a large-ish pair of Emile Gallé candelabra like these - (mine were polychrome, however)

[​IMG]

So this morning I started looking around for other Gallé pottery and porcelain and ran across a piece, also in cobalt blue and gold, like the OP's ..pruduced by
    Keller & Guerin ...that monogram on the OP's vase did look like it had a "K" and "G" in it ...maybe, just maybe .. Yes, that's was it!

Emile Gallé for Keller and Guerin.

[​IMG]

https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/725747247/antique-emile-galle-for-keller-guerin

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Any Jewelry, komokwa and i need help like this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  16. AAlkis

AAlkis New Member

Thank you very much!!! 37 euros for porcelain and gold?? omg even a Chinese similar item produced in 2019 with those materials would cost more!

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Nice Work, Blooey! :)

Any Jewelry and blooey like this.
  18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Just trying to keep up with you INH:bucktooth:

19. AAlkis

AAlkis New Member

whose signature is this? I am searching and i cant find any similar! Its Emile Gallé or keller and guerin?

20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm suggesting it is an Emile Gallé design, executed and produced by Keller and Guerin at Luneville. Seems reasonable, considering they did collaborate. Signature is Keller and Guerin.

I should also mention that the candelabrum I showed earlier had no Gallé signature either, were simply signed St. Clement.

Draft saved Draft deleted