Can someone tell me what I got

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mdlock, Sep 3, 2020.

1. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

H 20200903_205746_resize_37.jpg 20200903_205650_resize_59.jpg 20200903_205656_resize_66.jpg 20200903_205644_resize_62.jpg 20200903_205716_resize_64.jpg ad forever ready to say goodbye to it.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is it a little flower pot? You have... A piece of Portuguese pottery from Coimbra. "Sec. XVIII" is an abbreviation for 18th century. But doesn't mean it's that old. It's either a reproduction of an 18th century piece or, more likely a design from that century.

Debora

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The maker is VAO. That's short for Fábrica de Cerâmica da Viúva de Alfredo Oliveira which translates to Ceramic Factory of Alfredo Oliveira's Widow.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Major Portuguese pottery center. Also home to one of the oldest universities in Europe. It was founded in 1290.

Debora

7. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Oh now you are just showing off. Lol I love it.

Debora and Bronwen like this.
  8. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Let me take a quick pic of another Portuguese ate I have. Its from AUGUSTO BAPTISTA DE CARVALHO. I currently have it on eb 20191215_161740_resize_67.jpg 20191215_161730_resize_91.jpg 20191215_161955_resize_39.jpg ay.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  9. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

so maybe first one is original too.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't know what you mean by "original." It's not antique. Mrs. Olivera wasn't a widow until 1936.

Debora

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  11. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

?? Confused I know for sure the plate is 19th century.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Yes I'm not sure about the pot. It does have a good bit of crazing

Bronwen likes this.
  13. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Question why would they put a false date if they know when she became a widow??

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Funny that there's so little about Augusto Baptista de Carvalho on the internet. Just a few pieces and all dated to 1890.

Debora

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your VAO piece doesn't have a false date. It's kinda like the honorific marks on Chinese pieces. The 18th century date indicates its decorative style. Coimbra's design motifs changed over time.

Debora

mdlock and Bronwen like this.
  16. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

I get it. And the Palissy piece is circa 1880's I believe these were the best ones. I have looked a lot over the years. I want to have it professionally repaired the family I got it from remembers someone throwing something and it was taken down and not fixed in the best way I feel. I don't want to try to repair myself. Pretty sure I could but better to leave it to professional.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I found another piece by de Carvalho. A bit more elaborate than yours.

Debora

majolica-109.jpg

18. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Its amazing work. Like I said his pieces are the best. There is even a bug in my lizards mouth.

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to do this every time Coimbra pottery is posted, so here she is, Amália Rodrigues with "Coimbra":

dgbjwc and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted